Forget the usual mayonnaise avocado deal. Duchess Gabrielle creates a styling cream for advanced DIYers.
Everyone has a whipped shea butter tutorial that only differs by oil variations but not with Duchess Gabrielle. Gabrielle creates this luxurious homemade hair cream with ingredients that had me running to Google. This cream is infused with 11 different herbs!
Where they do that at? The various butters, oils, and gels allow this creamy goodness to double as a sealant and styler. Check out the recipe below and watch the video below for a tutorial.
- ¼ cup aloe vera juice
- 3 oz coconut oil
- 3-4 Tbsp Gabrielle’s dry hair blend (marshmallow root, mullein leaf, elder flower, burdock root, stinging nettle, lavender, comfrey leaf, flower, sage, parsley, chamomile, and calendula)
- 3 Tbsp emulsifying wax
- 1/3-cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp flaxseeds
- 2 oz illipe butter
- ½ tsp lavender
- 1 tsp Liquid Germall Plus
- 3 Lotioncrafter BTMS
- ¼ cup marshmallow root
- ½ tsp orange sweet oil
- ½ tsp rosemary oil
- 2 oz shea butter
- 1/3 cup unrefined avocado oil
- 3 cups water
- Glass or plastic storage jar
- Measuring spoons
- Rice strainer
- Saran wrap
- Double boiler pot
- Wooden spoon
- Put the dry hair blend into the rice strainer and pour steaming hot water over the blend. Allow the tea to steep for an hour.
- Boil the flaxseeds in water and reduce the heat to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain the gel solution into a bowl and add the aloe vera juice.
- Pour the tea from the dry hair blend into the gel solution and stir in the Liquid Germall Plus.
- Cover this mix with saran wrap and place to the side.
- Cut the coconut oil, shea butter, and illipe butter into smaller section. This helps the butters to melt faster in the next step.
- Place the shea butter and illipe butter in the double boiler until completely melted. Then, turn off the stove and add the coconut oil until it is completely melted.
Liquid Oil Phase
- Pour unrefined avocado oil and extra virgin olive oil into a bowl.
- Transfer the melted butters into the bowl with the avocado oil and extra virgin olive oil.
- Return the oil mix to the double boiler.
- Add the emulsifying wax and the Lotioncrafter BTMS.
- Remove the mixture from the stove and return to a bowl.
- Stir in the orange sweet, lavender, and rosemary oils.
- Allow the oil mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the gel solution into a blender and slowly add the liquid mixture. Once the blender begins to choke, the emulsification process is complete. In order to avoid disintegrating the mixture, do not over blend. The blend should have a creamy consistency.
- Fill the glass or plastic storage container with the final cream mixture.
- Store the cream in a cool place and let it sit overnight before using.
This DIY is definitely for the crafty natural and will leave your hair moisturized for days on end. For more curly mixology recipes, or to share your own favorite at-home treatments, go to our Recipes section.