TGIN ShampooOnce in a while, a brand comes along that makes you wonder why you didn't know about them a lot sooner. That pretty much sums up how I feel about the TGIN (Thank God It’s Natural) line. Easily skyrocketing into my favorites category, TGIN has a solid line offering rooted in affordability, and quality ingredients.

One of the first things that stood out to me about the TGIN Moist Collection was value. All of the products are 12oz, and are priced at $14.99 regularly. Even without special discounts (although who am I to turn down a sale), that is a great value considering that some products charge the same or more for 8oz or less of product. I don't know about you, but I'm heavy handed. I need enough product to last. And tgin definitely delivers. Founder Chris-Tia Donaldson, a Harvard trained lawyer and author of the best-selling book Thank God I’m Natural: The Ultimate Guide to Caring for Natural Hair, and her team definitely set out to prove that good quality products don't have to be expensive.

And with their clean branding and labeling, can't you just see this product making its way to the shelves of ULTA, Target, and more? I surely hope so. Let me show you why.

Moisture Rich Sulfate Free Shampoo

Description

Experience amazing results with tgin Moisture Rich Sulfate Free Shampoo. This unique formula is enriched with coconut oil to gently cleanse your hair, and amla oil to reduce breakage and increase moisture retention. The result is healthy hair that is left feeling soft, smooth, and moisturized.

Ingredient List

Purified Water infused with Amla Extract, Bilberry Extract, Sugar Cane Extract, Sugar Maple Extract, Orange Fruit Extract, and Lemon, Disodium Cocoamphodipropionate, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfate, Polysorbate 20, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Decyl Glucoside, Polyquaternium-10, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Caprylyl Glycol, EDTA Disodium, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)

Top Ingredients 411

• Purified water with Extracts: The extracts in the water work together to moisturize, nourish, and protect the hair while helping to prevent damage.
  • Disodium Cocoamphodipropionate: Surfactant and hair conditioning agent derived from the fatty acid in coconuts.
  • Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfate: Less harsh version of SLS, used to cleanse the hair.
  • Polysorbate 20: Emulsifier that enables oil and water to mix. It helps product disperse, is a thickener, and stabilizer of essential oils.
  • Cocamidopropyl Betaine: Coconut oil-derived detergent, anti-static, and hair conditioning agent.

Performance

There is a reason why I mentioned this shampoo on my list of top gentle shampoos for natural hair. Not only is the shampoo free of sulfates, but it is honestly one of the MOST moisturizing shampoos I've ever used. Seriously. Naturals like CharyJay rave about this shampoo - with good reason. The shampoo has tons of slip, making it great for keeping hair finger detangled while you wash. It gently cleanses the scalp and hair, removing buildup without stripping. And best of all, the shampoo truly is moisturizing and softening. If I didn't know any better, I wouldn't even bother conditioning after using this shampoo. Yes, it's that good.

TGIN Conditioner

Triple Moisture Replenishing Conditioner

Description

TGIN Moisture Replenishing Conditioner is the perfect pick me up for dry and/or damaged hair. Our special formula is enriched with shea butter, jojoba oil, rosemary oil, and sweet almond oil to hydrate, smooth, and repair strands with every use. The result is healthy hair that stays soft, moisturized, and easy to manage.

Ingredient List

Aqua (Water) , Stearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera ) Leaf Juice, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Chamomile) Flower, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower, Behentrimonium Chloride, Fragrance, Lactic Acid, Amodimethicone, Disodium EDTA , DMDM Hydantoin,TEA Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate , DPG, Potassium Chloride, PEG 150 Distearate , PEG-7 Propylheptyl Ether, Cetrimonium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

Top Ingredients 411

• Stearyl & Cetearyl Alcohol: Considered "fatty alcohols" -- NOT to be confused with drying alcohols such as ethyl. They act as lubricants, thickeners, and emollients. Also give conditioner its velvety feel without making hair greasy. Is additionally used to keep product ingredients from separating.
  • Cyclopentasiloxane: Emollient and hair conditioning silicone-based compound that is water soluble.
  • Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine: A derivative of stearic fatty acid that is used to keep ingredients from separating, as well as provide "slip" (useful for easy detangling).
  • Sweet Almond Oil: Locks moisture into hair, nourishes, smooths cuticles, helps control shedding and promote hair growth and thickness, as well as boosts shine.
  • Shea Butter: Emollient fat from the nut of the East or West African shea nut tree used to moisturize and soften hair.

Performance

Have you ever had a product work so well that it caused you to break out into random outbursts of song and dance in the shower? Well, it happened. Twice, actually. With this product, and another one I'll soon share. I treated this conditioner like I do all the other non-deep conditioners: I left it on my head in the shower (covered with a shower cap) for about 15 minutes while I showered, and then rinsed it off. However, tgin managed to separate themselves from the rest of the conditioning pack with this product! My hair was so silky, soft, shiny, and velvety smooth - the kind of amazing conditioning I'm used to getting only with a good deep conditioner. Oh yes. I can get used to this. And it had great slip, which made for a no-fuss rinse out session with my fingers. Look no further than below for my hair after using the shampoo and conditioner.

TGIN Miracle Mask

Honey Miracle Hair Mask

Description

TGIN Honey Miracle Hair Mask is like an instant makeover for dry, damaged, or color treated hair. This luxurious deep conditioner contains raw honey for softer, shinier hair and jojoba and olive oils, which help to heal strands in need of repair. The result is hair that never looked so good.

Ingredient List

Water, Raw Honey, Olea Europaea (Olive Fruit Oil), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Seed Oil), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glutamic Acid, Fragrance, Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Benzyl Alcohol, EDTA, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Top Ingredients 411

• Raw Honey: Humectant and emollient which helps soften, smooth, and retain moisture in hair. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals, which can help condition the hair leaving it shiny and soft. Honey also has antibacterial and antioxidant properties which help reverse and prevent damage, and promote scalp health.
  • Olive Oil: Moisturizing oil extracted from the meat of olives. Olive Oil is rich in high levels of mono-unsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E. Vitamin E is an antioxidant, which is good for hair growth. Both mono-unsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E are good for moisturizing, protecting and nourishing hair. Olive oil makes hair grow stronger and its emollient properties prevent hair loss. It is also one of the few oils that can actually penetrate the hair shaft.
  • Jojoba Seed Oil: Emollient that coats the hair shaft (its molecular structure prevents it from penetrating the cuticle) and aids in providing slip and protection. Jojoba is also the oil believed to be closest in composition to the natural sebum that our body produces.
  • Aloe Leaf Juice: Acts as a natural conditioning agent that restores the hair's sheen, luster, and shine. It not only makes the hair soft, but it also enhances strength and suppleness.
  • Stearyl Alcohol: Considered  "fatty alcohol" -- NOT to be confused with drying alcohols such as ethyl. Acts as a lubricant, thickener, and emollient. Gives conditioner its velvety feel without making hair greasy. Also used to keep product ingredients from separating.

Performance

Remember what I said earlier about singing and dancing in the shower? What I didn't tell you was that I danced even more, and even longer for the Honey Miracle Mask. This. Stuff. Is. AMAZING. Simply put. I don't know that there are enough words in the curly-haired language to describe how awesome this deep conditioner is. Easily, easily in my top 5 deep conditioners. Not only is it in my top 5, it is in the top of the top 5. Seriously. Calling this deep conditioner a miracle is by no means a misnomer. It moisturizes thoroughly, has great slip and spreadability (some deep conditioners can be rather stiff and butter-like), makes my hair soft, shiny, nourished, strengthened, and just overall feeling like a million bucks. I'm not exaggerating. Click here and read the reviews on the Honey Miracle Mask. These ladies are by no means lying or stretching the truth. This deep conditioner is amazing, and a must try!

TGIN Twist and Define

Twist & Define Cream

Description

Enriched with Coconut and Vitamin E Oils for smooth and shiny twist outs with long-lasting curl definition.

Ingredient List

Water (Aqua), Coconut Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, PVP, Triethanolamine, Polysorbate 20, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Panthenol, Carbomer, Fragrance, Idopropynul Butylcarbamate, DMDM Hydantoin

Top Ingredients 411

• Coconut Oil: Oil extracted from the meat of coconuts. It is unique in the sense that it is one f the few oils that can penetrate the hair shaft to provide moisture. It also reduces protein loss when used as a pre-poo treatment.
  • Soybean Oil: Carrier oil used to lubricate and nourish the hair, providing softness and shine.
  • PVP: Polyvinylpyrrolidone, a faint yellow solid polymer that helps to keep oils and liquids from separating. PVP also acts as a sealant, forming a thin layer over hair to retain moisture.
  • Triethanolamine: Alkaline substance used for pH adjustment, fragrance, and as a surfactant.
  • Polysorbate 20: Emulsifyer that enables oil and water to mix. It also helps product disperse, is a thickener, and stabilizer of essential oils.

Performance

The Twist & Define Cream is wonderful at moisturizing and providing a light hold on naturally curly hair. It spreads super easily through the hair, and makes working it through curls an easy task! It does not weigh hair down at all, yet doesn't leave it dry in the slightest. It works great on wet hair for wash and go styling, as a base product. I tend to gravitate toward the super-defined look that gels and jellys give, so when I do use the Twist & Define Cream, I often throw another product on top. But even alone, it is a great definer, especially for those that want tons of volume with definition. I haven't had the chance to use it on a twist or braid out yet, but when I do, I will report back. I'm honestly really looking forward to it, because I've been itching to do a twist out with my brand new Deva Cut hair!

TGIN Butter Cream Hair

Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer

Description

Enriched with Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, and Vitamin E, TGIN Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer will give your strands the moisture they need and crave for soft, shiny, manageable hair.

Ingredient List

Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Cetearyl Alcohol, Coconut Oil, Amodimethicone, Brassicamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Prunus Amygdalys (Sweet Almond) Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, PEG-4 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ceteareth-20, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Panthenol, Aspartic Acid, Perfume, Cyclopentasilozane, Idopropynyl Butylcarbamate, DMDM Hydantoin, Benzophenone-3, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Tetrasodium EDTA, Simethicone, BHT.

Top Ingredients 411

• Glycerin: Generally vegetable-based humectant that absorbs and retains moisture from the air.
  • Shea Butter: Emollient fat from the nut of the east or west African shea nut tree. Used to moisturize and soften hair.
  • Cetearyl Alcohol: Considered "fatty alcohol" -- not to be confused with drying alcohols such as ethyl. Acts as a lubricant, thickener, and emollient. Gives conditioner its velvety feel without making hair greasy. Also used to keep product ingredients from separating.
  • Amodimethicone: Conditioning silicone used to soften hair and help tools (combs, fingers) glide through the hair. Does not build up with repeated use.
  • Brassicamidopropyl Dimethylamine: Mustard oil-derived hair and skin conditioning agent, makes hair combing easier.

Performance

I'm sure at this point, you all think I'm just endlessly gushing about TGIN. And honestly, I am. I get overly excited about products that I really love, and that work really well for my hair. The Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer has been somewhat of a Godsend for me. I love moisture just as much as the next natural, but I can't do oils and butters that weigh my hair down and give me the greasies. I love that the Butter Cream is a hybrid cream and moisturizer that is sure to work for a large range of textures and hair types. It is light enough to apply every day, but does not cause buildup. In fact, I use it to seal in moisture for my wash and go's, and I end up not having to refresh/reapply product for at least 3 days - which is great. There's a reason that this Butter Cream was mentioned in my list of 9 great moisturizers for transitioners! Not only does it hydrate and seal, it also aids in curl definition. Just check out my wash and go's! The photos are from days 2 (above) and 3 (right) respectively, and my hair is still moisturized!

As I said previously, TGIN has fast become one of my favorite small business product lines. Their products do exactly what they say they'll do, and the value sizing is hard to beat. Now only if the conditioners came in salon sizes..... A natural can dream, can't she? Until that dream comes true, TGIN products are available at select Walgreens stores, on Amazon.com, and online at www.tginstore.com.

For more of Christina's product reviews, check out The Mane Objective