There seems to be some confusion about what and where this oil comes from, as many falsely assume that it is related to tea tree oil. Camellia oil is also known as tea seed oil, camellia seed oil, and even tea oil and is extracted from the seeds of the tea plant. It is not to be confused with camellia japonica oil, which is also known as Japanese tea oil and does not produce tea leaves. The camellia japonica oil is better known as tsubaki and it is also different in terms of its chemical composition and nutritional value.
What is Camellia Oil?
It has linoleic acid, Omega 6 that has properties to condition hair while unblocking pores to the scalp. It also stimulates hair growth and controls water loss in hair. It contains has a ton of Omega-9 or oleic acid, which will also control water loss and make your strands softer and more pliable. It has stearic acid, which is great for protecting and conditioning the strands while the palmitic acid adds moisture to the hair without clogging the scalp’s pores.
Benefits of Camellia Oil
- Anti-Inflammatory – reduces inflammation in the scalp.
- Astringent – can be a natural way to cleanse the scalp, especially when prolonging wash day. Many use an astringent when they exercise and want to keep their scalp clean without the drama of a long wash day. Remember, this is only a temporary fix.
- Antioxidant – just like green tea, camellia oil is a superb antioxidant that can help in preventing hair loss.
- Emulsifier – great for bringing two "unblendable" substances (like oil and water) to become stable in their blended state. Used in many hair products.
- Conditioner (hair) - used as a traditional hair treatment in the ancient times in China, this can do wonders as a hot oil conditioning and feels very similar to olive oil.
Camellia Oil Hot Oil Treatment
Use as a hot oil treatment by either heating the oil in a cup of hot water and apply to your hair. Cover with a plastic cap for 15-30 min. before shampooing. You can also just apply to your hair, cover with plastic cap, and sit under a hooded dryer for 10-15 min. Then, shampoo and condition as usual.
Camellia Oil Mist
Its ability to unblock pores and add moisture make this oil a perfect refresher in between workouts.
Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to 4 oz. of camellia oil in a spray bottle of distilled water. After cleansing, lightly mist the hair. Do not forget to massage into your scalp with fingertips and proceed with your normal routine. You can add your leave-in conditioner.
Do you like camellia oil?