Two of the biggest fears for straightening textured hair are heat damage and lack of volume. Women love the elongation, fullness, and low nighttime maintenance of straightened hair, but it tends to become boring after a few days or even a few hours. A lot of the times it can be disappointing, which is usually a result of poor technique. Here’s how to avoid limp, stiff, lackluster hair when straightening your curls.
- Clarify- Cleansing your hair and scalp is essential. An oily scalp will prevent your hair from having movement and dirty strands create friction for the flat iron. Make sure you clarify, not co-wash.
- Deep Condition- Since heat styling depletes moisture from the hair, it is important to infuse the hair with as much moisture as possible. Remember, always deep conditioner after cleansing your hair.
- Use a Heat Protectant- This will decrease the possibility of extreme thermal damage also known as heat damage. This step creates a smooth barrier for the flat iron to glide over while protecting the hair.
- Pin curl- Have you ever been to a salon where the stylist leaves round brushes in your hair as she finishes a blow out? She is doing that to set the volume or curl as the hair cools; the same applies for straightening. If you do not want to pass over each section numerous times or use a curling iron, simply pin every piece you straighten as you move throughout the hair. Once complete, release the curls and your hair will be full of volume.
- Use less product- If you can find a leave-in conditioner that functions like a heat protectant then that is the perfect 2-in-1. Here are some to check out: Nubian Heritage Honey & Black Seed Heat Protect Leave-In Conditioning Cream and Creme of Nature Argan Oil Perfect 7 Leave-in Conditioner.
Check out this awesome tutorial by wash, blow out, and flat iron She’Kia Renea.
What You’ll Need
- NBI Naturals Shampoo
- SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque
- Paul Mitchell The Conditioner (leave-in conditioner)
- CHI 44 Iron Guard
- Creme Of Nature Argan Oil Gloss & Shine Polisher
- EcoStyler Olive Oil
- Hair clamps
- Blow-dryer with comb attachment
- Paddle brush
- Denman brush
- Satin scarf
- Flat iron
- Small tooth comb
- Shampoo your hair with the NBI Naturals Shampoo.
- Apply the SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque, cover with a plastic cap, and allow it to set for 15 min.
- Rinse and apply the Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, section your hair with hair clamps, and detangle with a Denman brush.
- Smooth your edges with the EcoStyler Olive Oil, secure a scarf around your hairline, and allow your hair to air-dry for three hours.
- Apply the Crème of Nature Argan Oil Gloss & Shine Polisher in sections and blow-dry at low heat and medium speed with a comb attachment or paddle brush.
- Create a small section, apply the CHI 44 Iron Guard, comb your hair with the small tooth comb, and glide the flat iron over the hair as the comb is guiding it.
- Pin the curls with a bobby pin to retain the curl.
- Optional: Dust the ends with shears. This creates a more polished look and makes for better detangling.
Follow She'Kia Renea here: