Find out which common hair product ingredients can cause allergies and what you can do about it.
Potential Allergens in Cosmetic Products
- Emollients: nut oils, argan oil, coconut oil, lanolin
- Proteins: Wheat proteins, hydrolyzed proteins, amino acids
- UV-absorbers: PABA, octocrylene, octylmethoxy cinnamate
- Surfactants: sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate
- Humectants: propylene glycol, glycerol (glycerin), panthenol
- Preservatives: isothiazolinones, phenoxyethanol
- Formaldehyde donors: DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea,
- Fragrances: both synthetic and botanical
- Vitamins: Vitamin E and A can be wheat derived. Vitamin C is often derived from corn.
- Glycols and triols: (glycerin and propylene glycol), polyols, ethoxylated polymers, ethoxylated surfactants