Revamp your curly beauty routine with natural and eco-conscious products and tips.
Happy Earth Day! There is no better time to revamp your beauty routine with natural and eco-conscious products than today. There are so many great salons and product lines with environmentally friendly practices. Products that contain more natural ingredients and have less impact on the environment are ideal as we focus on the well-being of ourselves and the earth. Check out these amazing eco-friendly finds!
No matter what region you are in, there is likely to be a “green” salon option that will meet your needs.
- Seattle’s Grow Salon is a self-proclaimed “eco-salon” which is stocked with products that were created with water conservation in mind.
- Also on the West coast is San Francisco’s The Plum, a salon that uses ammonia-free hair color, organic shampoos, and bamboo towels for sustainability.
- Chicago’s Chatto Center for Natural Hair & Skin provides their own products, made without alcohol, formaldehyde, and other harmful chemicals.
- Garbo Salon & Spa in Austin has been a leader in eco-friendly practices and now donates used hair to oil spill relief efforts.
- Swing Hair Salon, located in New York City’s East Village, has been recognized as a premiere “green” salon and actually uses wind as 100 percent of their power supply! Lastly, Miami’s Jose Luis Salon is reasonably priced and has a focus on organic hair care.
Every curly girl likes trying new hair products, and there are countless brands that offer quality natural ingredients. Some of the best product lines are actually less well-known.
- Camille Rose Naturals Algae Deep Conditioner is a reparative treatment that is free of parabens, silicones, and sulfates, making it ideal for those who are bothered by intense chemicals in products.
- Darcy’s Botanicals Curling Cream Gel is free of glycerin and sulfates and also contains organic honey. It is an ideal product for setting Type 3B-4C curls.
- Yarok’s Styling Whip is also excellent for texturizing and includes lemon peel and peppermint oil. This company ensures that all of their products are 100% vegan!
- Giovanni Sunset Styling Lotion Hair Changer is a versatile product that contains biodegradable ingredients and can be used to enhance any curl type.
- Shea Terra Organics Certified Organic Shea Butter is an excellent curl sealer for dry hair. This product is organic and was made in a cruelty-free manner, as well as containing pure essential oils as a fragrance.
- Aveeno, while a much more commercialized brand, has created two hair products that greatly save time (and water!). The Aveeno Pure Renewal 2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioner is a great multi-tasker, and the Pure Renewal Dry Shampoo is a sulfate-free solution for “skip” days!
- Keep Buzzin’ Body Products offers 100% natural and sustainable hand and foot creams with organic ingredients and compostable packaging.
- The Yes to Cucumbers Facial Towelettes are a must-have for those who wear makeup. They are perfect for cleansing sensitive skin and are 98% natural and biodegradable.
- Josie Maran Bear Naked Nail Wipes are another great addition to your cosmetics supply. Not only do the wipes remove nail polish while moisturizing nails and cuticles, but a portion of the sales are donated to the Polar Bear SOS Initiative in order to prevent extinction.
Simplifying your makeup products is an essential step in creating a more natural routine. Many products contain unrecognizable ingredients that may be harmful.
- Mirabella Cosmetics Magic Marker Eyeliner is paraben-free, allowing those with even the most sensitive eyes to create the popular cat-eye look without risk of irritation.
- Pacifica Radiant Shimmer Coconut Multiples is an excellent brightening palette that includes universally flattering highlighter, blush, and bronzer colors sans pthalates, petroleum, and other skin clogging ingredients.
Two “Super Brands” that have shown true efforts to bringing eco-friendly products to consumers are Shea Moisture and Lush.
Shea Moisture is a rapidly growing brand that provides organic and sustainable ingredients. Their Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist tightens curls, reducing the need for heated styling tools, and the Organic African Black Soap is free of sulfates and mineral oils, containing aloe vera and vitamin E to soothe skin. Lush is known for their solid bath, hair, and perfume products, which last longer than liquids and are very convenient for air travel. Their Lust Solid Perfume and Godiva Solid Shampoo Bar both smell of jasmine and provide moisturizing benefits.
Make sure to enhance your hair and skin products with useful tools that will cut down on your morning routine while reducing your environmental impact. Pair your facial cleanser with a brush, such as the Earth Therapeutics Complexion Brush, in order to exfoliate without the need for a separate scrub. Also, Ecotools has the Bamboo Smudge Eyeliner Brush, which muti-tasks with a sharpener on the end of it. Their Naturally Beautiful false lashes are great as well because they contain no formaldehyde, parabens, pthalates, or latex. Toss all of your small tools and makeup into one of their hemp makeup bags designed by Alicia Silverstone!
Save energy and reduce air-drying time by scrunching freshly washed curls with a microfiber towel, such as the Curls Like Us Curl Cloths, which come in a package of two and are very absorbent. If you really want to go all out with being eco-friendly, invest in a water-saving showerhead. The Waterpik EcoFlow reduces excess water flow, saving you money and decreasing waste!
Have a happy Earth Day, and remember to recycle old product packaging and to use your own ingredients to make homemade products when possible! How are you planning to improve your eco-friendly beauty routine?