Get shiny, bouncy curls each and every time using with this quick and easy Curlformers tutorial.
When in need of a mini makeover that drastically alters my look, I like to go from curly to straight. Nothing helps me get shiny stretched hair without the need for any heat better than Curlformers. Unfortunately, there is a steep learning curve and it took me a while to get the hang of it. So to help a natural sister out, I’ve written out a comprehensive step by step tutorial to get shiny, bouncy curls each and every time.
- Start off with clean hair and separate it into large sections to make setting easier.
- Apply your products to one section of your hair at a time ensuring that it is thoroughly saturated from root to tip. Some people use setting lotions like Lottabody Texturizing Setting Lotion but my favorite mix is 2 parts liquid leave in to one part aloe vera gel.
- From one of your sections, separate a small piece of hair that will go in the Curlformer and ensure that it is well detangled and smooth. I love to use my denman brush for this step because the smoother the hair the better the results. Also ensure the section is not too big as it will be difficult to fit through the curlfomer.
- Push the rod through the Curlformer, then take your detangled section and twist it tightly at the roots and hold it with one hand. With the other hand, place the hook onto the hair near the scalp. Let go of your hair and use that free hand to push the Curlformer up until it bunches slightly at your scalp. Use your free hand to hold the end of the curlformer firmly against your scalp, then use your other hand to pull the rod down. This action will cause the hair to be pulled into the Curlformer. Make sure you hold the Curlformer against your scalp to prevent it from sliding down as you want to ensure your roots straighten as well. Once done, the Curlformer may need to be reshaped, so simply hold the end of it against your scalp tightly and run your finger down to unravel it and hold it taught. Let go of the end that’s not against your scalp and it should bounce right back into its proper form.
- Continue to do this until your whole head is done and use a spray bottle to keep your hair damp if necessary.
- Sitting under a hooded dryer is optional because the best part about Curlformers is that they don’t require one for your hair to dry. The mesh helps air to circulate through your hair and the curls hang down and aren’t wrapped around each other as with other types of rollers, so it dries relatively quickly — about 6 hours for me.
To remove the rollers, simply pull down on the Curlformer and it should come off easily. To reshape any wayward curls, use your finger to twirl it in the direction it was formed and it should fall nicely back into place.
To style your hair, you can rock your curls as is, coat your hands with a thin layer of oil and separate your curls gently to create more volume, or use bobby pins to create a more sophisticated updo. You can also brush it out for other styles like buns, ponytails, twist or braid outs and for flat ironing.
Learning to use Curlformers may take some time but I hope this helps because the effort is well worth it.
As always remember to have love peace and curly haired bliss.
Curls Night Out: A CurlFormers Tutorial
See more Videos
Get more tips and tricks for your curls, coils and waves on NaturallyCurly’s YouTube channel.