While citrus fruits and their oils may not fall into the "superfood” category like kale, chia, and algae, citruses are simple fruits that can be easily found in grocery stores, almost any time of year. They contain great benefits for the kidneys, reducing cellulite, retaining skin elasticity, and provide antiseptic goodness for your scalp. From the grapefruit, to the clementine, to the orange, citrus oils will equally do your hair, body, and skin good. Here are just 6 reasons for trying citrus fruit extract oils topically.
1. Fight off your infections.
Grapefruit seed extract can be used to fight infections and can rid the body of unhealthy bacteria, according to holistic nutritionist Sally Pansing Kravich. Citrus-derived oils in general will promote kidney health, adds dermatologist Michael Lin, "they are packed with folic acid, a type of vitamin B that can aid in preventing kidney disease and birth defects among pregnant women,” he explains. “Good kidney health helps the body filter blood, remove waste and regulate the balance of electrolytes. Maintaining balanced levels of electrolytes helps prevent dehydration and dry, dull skin.”
2. Diffuse your cellulite situation.
Hey, this expert says so. Certified aromatherapist Gina Kamburowski, founder of GoodLivingIsGlam.com, says that grapefruit especially, which has a very high concentration of vitamin C, stimulates collagen production and helps skin retain elasticity. Try cutting off the ends of a grapefruit (so a round “end” is exposed) and rubbing it in tight circular motions using pressure over your cellulite pre-shower—this will drive in natural vitamin C and help to improve the appearance of your skin. “If you sleep in pajamas, you can rub a grapefruit in tight circular motions across cellulite post-shower, too,” says Gina. “Wipe the area(s) with a damp cloth in the morning and apply a natural vitamin C body cream.”
3. Detox your immune system.
Skincare expert Adrienne Shostak recommends starting your day with hot lemon water rather than coffee or tea. “Lemons are rich in vitamin C and potassium,” she says. “Vitamin C is an excellent fighter against colds and potassium stimulates brain and nerve functions, while regulating the blood pressure. Lemons also aid in digestion and clean toxins from the blood, which keeps the skin clean.” This also promotes regular, healthy hair growth. She suggests drinking the juice of half a lemon with hot water, adding a bit of honey first thing when you wake up. Wait 30 minutes before eating--if you can--to maximize the benefits.
4. Give you brighter skin.
“If you are looking to achieve clear, glowing and blemish-free skin, make sure citrus fruits such as lemons, limes or grapefruits are part of your daily diet and beauty routine,” says Dr. Roshini Raj, gastroenterologist and founder of TULA skincare. “Citrus fruits are a rich natural source of vitamin C, which helps destroy free radicals in your body while providing a radiant glow to your skin and rejuvenating skin from the inside.”
5. Purify your scalp.
Citrus essential oils provide exceptional cleansing benefits to the skin as well as some anti-inflammatory ones, which make them extremely beneficial for healing blemishes or even razor cuts, says Julia Teren of Thesis Beauty. These oils clean and deodorize. “Oils like lime and lemon enjoy popularity in deodorants as they also help inhibit odor-producing bacteria,” she explains. “They do a great job deodorizing armpits, feet and hands and controlling sebum production on an over-reactive scalp.”
6. Encourage you to be happy!
Try citrus as a mood booster. “Citrus oils such as bergamot, mandarin and grapefruit are incredibly aromatic and uplifting when used in mists, diffusers, and natural candles,” says Teren. “They help relieve signs of stress and fatigue, promote relaxation and elevated mood.”
Try one of these citrus oil-infused hair goodies
- Grapefruit Citrus Premium Shampoo restores shine and body to hair with it’s bright citrus scent. It’s paraben and SLS free and makes the perfect start to anyone’s day with it’s scent of lemon and grapefruit. Leaves hair easy to manage and feeling happy!
- John Masters Bourbon Vanilla & Tangerine Hair is designed to shape curls and define ringlets. The Texturizer is formulated with antioxidant vitamins, tangerine oils and shea butter to boost shine, health and vitality of hair while vanilla and tangerine essential oils create a sweet aroma.
- Kiehl’s Olive Fruit Nourishing Conditioner is formulated for dehydrated, under-nourished hair, this lightweight conditioner deeply moisturizes and restores a healthy look to hair. Enriching avocado oil is blended with lemon extract and olive fruit oil for a formula inspired by traditional home recipes to help rebuild strength and elasticity and lock in moisture.
- The Honest Shampoo and Body Wash in Sweet Orange Vanilla is gentle enough for babies and safe for moms with color-treated hair. The sweet scent of orange vanilla leaves a fresh feeling. Tear-free, plant-based formula Essential amino acids, as well as jojoba and quinoa, help to strengthen
Make Your Own
Make your own citrus body/pillow spray with this easy formula:
- 8 oz distilled water
- 1 tablespoon witch hazel
- 25 drops of your favorite essential citrus oil
- Spray bottle
Mix the ingredients into the spray bottle and use a body spray, favorite scent or linen spray. The aromatherapy powers of citrus oils will help you sleep better and naturally ease your stress hormone levels.