I recently got a haircut and want nothing more for it to grow long again healthier and stronger than before.
This led to extensive research to find what, if anything, can help speed this process up. One plant in particular kept appearing in many of my readings, both from internal and external use: bamboo. I have been testing this ingredient for weeks on my own hair and want to share with you some of the claims as well as my own hair health results.
Bamboo is actually the fastest growing plant in the world!
Bamboo is actually the fastest growing plant in the world! Certain species of bamboo can grow up to 10 centimeters a day. Not only does it grow quickly, it also stays strong and flexible in the process. According to OrganicAuthority, bamboo stalks are "strong as steel, more sturdy than concrete and grows to timber size in a year."
Bamboo has the highest amount of vegetative silica in any plant--up to 70%! Silica is a trace mineral that slowly depletes as we age and if we are lacking in it, it can not only affect our hair but also our skin, nails and other organs in our body, as well. Also known as silicon, silica it is a combination of silicon and oxygen, the two most abundant elements on the planet.
Silica is a trace mineral that slowly depletes as we age and if we are lacking in it, it can not only affect our hair but also our skin, nails and other organs in our body
Briogeo uses bamboo extract in their hair products because it "helps improve the moisture and natural sheen of the hair, while increasing strength and elasticity. This nutrient rich ingredient also has protective antioxidant properties and improves hair health through its silica rich nutrient base. Silica is known to improve hair texture, prevent split ends, and accelerate hair growth."
The benefits of silica
You should be getting enough silica. Here's why:
- adds shine to lackluster hair
- may help increase hair growth
- help to prevent hair thinning
- may help to address hair loss
- ensures the hair follicles are supplied with all the vital minerals necessary for hair growth and vitality.
- hair can become stronger
- decrease in hair shedding
- hair may become thicker
- may help temporarily mend together split ends
- helps to restore the appearance of healthy hair
How to consume more bamboo
Bamboo leaf tea is a popular way to consume bamboo and get your daily dose of silica. I have been drinking two cups a day for the past two weeks. Of course it takes a while to notice any true difference and it isn't magic, but the taste is pleasant to me and a few days in I noticed less shedding and an added benefit that my body has not felt as achy. I look forward to seeing what it does for my hair as I continue to drink it, I'll be posting updates on my blog. Bamboo leaf tea has a nice, fresh, earthy taste to it that I enjoy without adding any sweetener.
If you won't want to drink bamboo tea, several companies also make bamboo supplements as well.
Bamboo shoots are a vegetable, very popular in Asian dishes that are nutrient dense and another way to get the benefits of Bamboo internally as well. Bamboo shoots are low in calories, high in fiber and contain vitamins and minerals as well.
The hair benefits
Our hair can also benefit from bamboo being an ingredient in our hair products.
- Shampoos that contain bamboo extract are good at washing away dead skin cells and other unwanted agents that can build up on hair strands. By playing a role in removing a build-up of pollutants, body oils, and chemicals on the hair, bamboo extract can also add a natural shine and luster to your hair.
- Bamboo has anti-irritant and antioxidant properties which is especially beneficial if you have a sensitive or dry scalp.
- Using hair products with bamboo in them can help the overall appearance of your hair, allowing it to become more manageable, shinier, softer and stronger.
Products with bamboo
A few lines that contain Bamboo extract in them are
In addition to hair health, bamboo and silica can have excellent benefits for the skin and body as well. This extract can be worth looking into not only to achieve optimal hair health, but to help your body overall. Please note this article is for information only and absolutely should not take the place of advice given by your medical professional. Individual results using bamboo enhanced products and/or drinking bamboo tea will vary.