Losing my curls!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Therese1
  • 2 Post By rbb
  • 3 Post By Wicked*Rosy
  • 1 Post By rymorg2

My hair is losing its curl. I've had 3A-3B hair all my life. It now looks like a 2B-2C. Plus, I have some pretty nasty surface frizz. I'm 41 and the grey hair is coming in with a passion. I do color it.

This was me in December:

This is me a few weeks ago:

So.... can I bring the curls back? I have a Deva cut. I just started using the following to try and help:

Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream (new)
Jessicurl Deep Treatment -as regular conditioner and deep treatment with heat 1x per week (new)
Pantene BB Creme (new)
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie (been using for over a year)
Joico Joiwhip mixed with Garnier Fructis Style Curl Scrunch Gel (new)

I switched from:

Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Grow Shampoo
Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore Conditioner
Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore Treatment Masque (deep treatment with heat 1x per week)
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Biosilk Rock Hard Gellee

I always put in my products while I'm in the shower and I plop using a t-shirt to dry. I don't blow dry my hair. I've only been using my new routine for about two weeks, but it's not blowing me away. So.... help?
Rosy

3A/High Porosity/Medium Density

Last edited by Wicked*Rosy; 09-05-2016 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Resize picture
I'm wondering if you have buildup from the Shea Moisture products. Those can cause buildup on some people's hair. I would try clarifying with a sulfate shampoo (yes, a sulfate) to see if that helps. Sulfates aren't bad once in a blue moon to clarify; it's when they are used repeatedly that they can cause a problem.
curlypearl and curlyamaryllis like this.
Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonizing; Oribe Cleansing Creme
RO: IN Harmonizing
LI: As I Am; CJ Beauticurls
Stylers: IN Straight Hair Serum; IN Volumizing Foam; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Styling Gel; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray

Normal- to low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair with a coarse section at back of head
i agree about the build up. i found jessicurl too heavy for my hair. (heavy is not rich).
also, have you done a protein treatment? that will help retain the moisture. i use and love curl junkie repair me!
curlypearl and SuzyQ23 like this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: [I] curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
I agree it seems as if there is too much product build up on the scalp. Try finding an all natural clarifying technique. That way chemicals in the product are not interfering with your curl pattern.

This video helped me to get back my curls after extremely heat damaged straight hair. Tailor the ingredients to suit your hair type. When you go organic you can't really go wrong.

Type in on Youtube: How to Reverse Natural Hair Loss.
Thanks for the replies! I've used the As I Am clarifying shampoo, as I thought it may be build up as well. I don't think that has sulfates, though. I may have to bite the bullet.
Rosy

So.... update!

I went crazy and washed my hair with my husband's Pantene and did a deep condish. Curls! Then I got KCKT and KCCC. MEGA CURLS. I'm on 3rd day hair.

Happy Friday!
jeepcurlygurl, rbb and curlypearl like this.
Rosy

It's amazing what a good clarifying can do! I need to clarify my hair too. Doing that tomorrow.
curlypearl likes this.
Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Low poo: looking
COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
RO: varies
Protein: CJCF or CJRM
DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
LI: varies, usually KCKT
Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
I read somewhere that after a sulfate poo products work better. As long as it's not done too often a mild sulfate poo definitely benefits my curls.
2/c-3a Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift

Trending Topics