I think I need a WHOLE new routine :/

Hi, everyone! I think I need some advice about handling my hair.

I had a second child (over 40!) a few years ago, and for a while my hair just seemed "slightly straighter" (more like 3A or sometimes even 2C than 3B), but now I have to say it just seems . . . bad. You can see from my current avatar pic that although I'm still less than 10% gray, something about my texture has changed in recent years so that my hair is fluffier, frizzier, and just all around has less well-defined curls. I did recently get a few highlights, but they are not the problem -- the problem predates the highlights.

My current up-to-date routine is in my signature, and man is it not working for me. Normally I cowash/use associated condish once a week, and then maybe wash with gentle shampoo (just scalp) once a week, followed by whatever condish I grab. I don't have clarifying on a regular schedule, but am wondering if the Avalon is a good clarifying shampoo for me. I saw another person on this board just using Pantene -- would that be a better choice???

A curly friend (who is more of a high-density 3A, for reference) suggested trying an apple cider rinse between washing/cowashing and condish, but . . . I don't know if that's going to fix it.

I switched to Deva No Poo/One Condish from their Decadence line because the Decadence was now WAY too rich for me. I've had good luck with Curl Junkie in the past, but have never truly found a great wash or daily condish there (I like Repair Me and Deep Fix, though I've run out of both at the moment). I think my leave-in and stylers are working fine for me -- the problem, I think, is the cowash/shampoo and the daily conditioner, and also knowing how often to clarify and what/how often to deep condish.

Open to suggestions from you lovelies! Thanks for your help!
--
3b, fine, medium density, normal porosity
Wash: Deva No Poo, sometime Phytojoba, Avalon lemon when needs clarifying
Rinse-out: Deva One Condition, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening, Phytojoba (kinda heavy for my hair but good noisture)
DT: CJ CCCCL, or KCKT
Leave-in: Phytokeratine, CCCCL
Styling: Deva Coconut Supercream or their Wave Maker with a little CS over the top
i just sent you a pm about the shampoos.

you might have to change your products that you use, sometimes a product just stops working for me. i think my hair changes over the years. sometimes my hair needs a rotation of products. i see you use kccc -- while my hair at first liked it, it ended up drying out my hair quite a bit. do you think you need a trim to dust the ends? i usually have problems when i'm due for a haircut.

i see you have fine hair -- have you tried the cj beauticurls leave in? i've seen that do amazing things on fine-haired curlies.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: [I] curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
I have not tried the Beauticurls Leave in, but I will on your recommendation. I have super baby fine hair -- all of it can fit in one little girl-sized ponytail holder.

And I do need a trim, but was hoping to wait until September just because it tends to scrunch up so much in the humid weather . . . but maybe I'll just go for it.

Thanks as ever for your advice! I think I'm going to get a CJ protein and one for moisture and try switching back and forth between them . . .
--
Rinse-out: Deva One Condition, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening, Phytojoba (kinda heavy for my hair but good noisture)
Styling: Deva Coconut Supercream or their Wave Maker with a little CS over the top
Okay, well I did a protein leave-in today and I do have a little more curl and softness! I am also going to get a trim. On the road to recovery, I think!

RBB, what is your fave CJ moisturizing conditioner for an occasional deep treatment? I just got the Smoothing for everyday and it seems great for my hair -- great slip for getting out fairy knots!
--
i love curl junkie curl rehab -- it's with the 'hair treatments' on the website. it is very moisturizing and lightweight.
do you mean the smoothing conditioner or smoothing lotion? the smoothing conditioner i think of almost as a very light version of curl rehab.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: [I] curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Trending Topics