Anyone with gray hair use a violet shampoo?

Like Tree15Likes

Thanks so much for taking time to type those details! I am bookmarking your post. I am up to my eyeballs in purple condish at this point, between the Davines and unopened bottle of Shimmer Lights, but I will definitely move to Ardell experiments after those are gone.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
I've been using red/gold corrector for years and mix a whole bottle at a time. It sits there for months since I only use it a couple times per month, and I've never had an issue with it going bad.
It's great stuff.
Spiralli likes this.
--I'm located in Western PA.
--I found NC in late 2004, CG since 2-2005, started going grey in late 2005.
--My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
--My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
--My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...-progress.html
So does the Ardell RG Corrector come in a bottle that you can dispense out of? For some reason I thought it was only in a sample packet.

rbb, am I understanding correctly that you are making a smaller batch of condish with the Ardell in it, rather than putting a bunch of Ardell in a [nearly full] bottle of conditioner? I have wondered how well a larger bottle already mixed would keep...
Originally Posted by Spiralli
i ordered the ardell online, too lazy to go to sally's which is about 1/2 hour away from me.
it comes up as a packet, but then when you click on it shows a larger size, and that is a tiny plastic bottle that is probably enough for at least 3 times, maybe a lot more. the packet i think is a powder, one time use.

then i used a measuring cup (i have since bought a plastic beaker for $1.99) and measured out 2 ounces of conditioner, then mixed in the 15 drops of ardell.
so, yes, i was able to make one individual use. what i like about it is you can make it stronger, ie, add more than 15 drops if you feel your hair needs it. and you can also i guess make more of the mix, more conditioner and more ardell. for me, the 2 ozs was enough as i mostly use it in the front.
i don't think mixing an entire bottle of conditioner would keep well. but it is easy enough this way, and i can customize it to whatever conditioner i want to use that day.
so easy, i cannot believe i did not do this sooner!
Originally Posted by rbb
Will def get hold of the Ardell - am not loving the Shimmer Lights either. Am only 10 months into my 'growing out' and still have a lot of 'yellow' highlights. Am not sure anything will fix this - apart from a drastic cut! lol
UK - 3a/b med/coarse - mix normal/ high porosity.
Currently in my rotation:
Cleanser/Cowash: CJDF,
Tresemme Naturals, DGJ Hairjuice clarifying, Urtekram Lavender
Conditioners/DT's: CJH&BDF, CJCR, DBPSC, AOWC, Y2C
Protein: AOGPB, Joico Reconstruct Condish (regular not PT)
Leave Ins/Curl Creams: CJCCCC, CJ Smoothing, KeraCare/JCAC
Gel: FSG, BRHG, Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel, L'Oreal Studio Mineral Control Invisi'Gel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41240927@N03/
crystal tips -- i did like the coverage shimmer lights gave me, felt it did a good job in that. however, i had a reaction to it -- anything that dripped down caused me to itch, so i would use a shower cap if i kept it on for a minute or two. and, my hair was dry for several days afterwards.

with the ardell corrector, you have the luxury of customizing it - you can add more than the 15 drops per 2 ozs, maybe another two or three, and see if that works.
i agree with jeepcurlygurl, it can be mixed into an entire bottle. for myself, i like the ability to chose on that day which conditioner i want to use, and how much, a little more or less, ardell i want to use.
i think it's just a win-win situation all around. and it is cheap! :-)
Spiralli likes this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: [I] curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
crystal tips -- i did like the coverage shimmer lights gave me, felt it did a good job in that. however, i had a reaction to it -- anything that dripped down caused me to itch, so i would use a shower cap if i kept it on for a minute or two. and, my hair was dry for several days afterwards.

with the ardell corrector, you have the luxury of customizing it - you can add more than the 15 drops per 2 ozs, maybe another two or three, and see if that works.
i agree with jeepcurlygurl, it can be mixed into an entire bottle. for myself, i like the ability to chose on that day which conditioner i want to use, and how much, a little more or less, ardell i want to use.
i think it's just a win-win situation all around. and it is cheap! :-)
Originally Posted by rbb
Yes - not good if it is irritating your skin! My hair also feels a little dry after use and much prefer the idea of mixing a corrector into one of my more moisturising condishes (or even a cowash conditioner).

Are you still using once per week, or do you find you need to use more often?
UK - 3a/b med/coarse - mix normal/ high porosity.
Currently in my rotation:
Cleanser/Cowash: CJDF,
Tresemme Naturals, DGJ Hairjuice clarifying, Urtekram Lavender
Conditioners/DT's: CJH&BDF, CJCR, DBPSC, AOWC, Y2C
Protein: AOGPB, Joico Reconstruct Condish (regular not PT)
Leave Ins/Curl Creams: CJCCCC, CJ Smoothing, KeraCare/JCAC
Gel: FSG, BRHG, Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel, L'Oreal Studio Mineral Control Invisi'Gel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41240927@N03/
it depends on how often i low poo. never more than once a week, but with the shimmer lights i was using it once every two weeks. we'll see how the ardell holds up. but even i i have to use it once a week, i still prefer this as it feels so gentle to my hair.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: [I] curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
Just wondering if there is anything new in the world of grey hair products? It's winter and I'm in the mood to experiment.
--I'm located in Western PA.
--I found NC in late 2004, CG since 2-2005, started going grey in late 2005.
--My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
--My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
--My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...-progress.html
The more virgin the shaft, and closed the cuticle, the less color can absorbs. By the time a violet-based shampoo or product is noticeably neutralizing yellow near the root; I'd guess it's getting pretty purply toward the ends.
BC I started going white, or "silver" (sounds better) years ago, I just went with it, and started bleaching my hair Snow White...& that's where the fun began!
Initially, the first time I bleached my hair, I left Shimmer Lights to tone the brassiness; but left it on too long. I looked at it, and thought, "Cool!" Cuz it turned the tips lilac (even tho the root is really where you want to tone out the brassiness...& THAT never happens).
20 years later...I have the routine DOWN to a SCIENCE!
I use Super Blond X 3 weeks.
...used to use a cap, cuz it would get super white all the way to the root; but it was melting my tips.
So now, I rub Colestral, or Vaseline into the tips before bleaching, and add a little Argon oil to the bleach solution.
I keep multiple jars of Ultra-Violet Manic Panic around and add it to my shampoo, conditioner, pomades, and balms; so after I leave the bleach solution on the maximum time, I rinse w/my OWN violet-based shampoo, then load on a rich conditioner mixed with more Ultra-Violet Manic Panic, & leave that on for up to a half hour.
When I rinse, my hair is virtually SNOW WHITE with a halo of violet.
It's so pretty!
I use clean mascara wands to thread in spidery lines of pasta peaches & pinks, Aqua & periwinkle (creating all my own shades from mixing colors together).
My hair can go from simply pure white-white, to lookin like a friggin rainbow snow cone. I even captured the whole iridescent LOOK using prism spectrum shades.
So...long diatribe from a simple question about Shimmer Lights; but I guess the thing is...
Make your OWN toning products by mixing them with Manic Panic Ultra Violet.
Just know, it's going to tone the tips different than the roots; so while it's hard...you can go a little heavier on the Ultra Violet for application on the roots than you need on the tips.
The more virgin the shaft, and closed the cuticle, the less color can absorbs. By the time a violet-based shampoo or product is noticeably neutralizing yellow near the root; I'd guess it's getting pretty purply toward the ends.
BC I started going white, or "silver" (sounds better) years ago, I just went with it, and started bleaching my hair Snow White...& that's where the fun began!
Initially, the first time I bleached my hair, I left Shimmer Lights to tone the brassiness; but left it on too long. I looked at it, and thought, "Cool!" Cuz it turned the tips lilac (even tho the root is really where you want to tone out the brassiness...& THAT never happens).
20 years later...I have the routine DOWN to a SCIENCE!
I use Super Blond X 3 weeks.
...used to use a cap, cuz it would get super white all the way to the root; but it was melting my tips.
So now, I rub Colestral, or Vaseline into the tips before bleaching, and add a little Argon oil to the bleach solution.
I keep multiple jars of Ultra-Violet Manic Panic around and add it to my shampoo, conditioner, pomades, and balms; so after I leave the bleach solution on the maximum time, I rinse w/my OWN violet-based shampoo, then load on a rich conditioner mixed with more Ultra-Violet Manic Panic, & leave that on for up to a half hour.
When I rinse, my hair is virtually SNOW WHITE with a halo of violet.
It's so pretty!
I use clean mascara wands to thread in spidery lines of pasta peaches & pinks, Aqua & periwinkle (creating all my own shades from mixing colors together).
My hair can go from simply pure white-white, to lookin like a friggin rainbow snow cone. I even captured the whole iridescent LOOK using prism spectrum shades.
So...long diatribe from a simple question about Shimmer Lights; but I guess the thing is...
Make your OWN toning products by mixing them with Manic Panic Ultra Violet.
Just know, it's going to tone the tips different than the roots; so while it's hard...you can go a little heavier on the Ultra Violet for application on the roots than you need on the tips.

Trending Topics