Good Brand of Silk Pillowcase?

I finally want to purchase a silk pillowcase (not a scarf or cap, because I don't like the feel of those and my hair is generally too poofy to comply) and decided to go with 100% silk instead of silk charmeuse, since I heard that 100% silk is more slippery. After research I realized that satin is the weave of the fabric, not the material, and can be made from polyester OR silk, so I guess what I'd be looking for is 100% silk satin pillowcases?

I want to get a pillowcase that is good quality and will last through many washings, not just trying to be cheap or anything. I'd rather pay $40 for a pillowcase that will last than $20 for one that will fall apart within 6 months. Well, I don't want one so high quality that I have to DRY clean it though. That'd be a hassle.

Searching around on these forums brought me to 5 brands thus far, DreamSacks, JessiCurl, PS12, SilkBeddingAndMore (kind of pricey though), and SatinSkin. Are these indeed silk satin and slippery enough to serve their purpose? Has anyone used any of them and can comment on how well they work and how well they are made?

And does anyone know any other brands they have tried that are indeed 100% silk satin (not synthetic) that they really liked? I'd appreciate any advice!

Here are the links to the ones I've found thus far:

I'm a little concerned about the DreamSacks because they don't LOOK slippery... which would be the whole point!

Basically I don't want to buy one blind, I want to buy one people have already gotten that they can vouch for.

Last edited by violagirl23; 06-21-2010 at 12:54 AM.
i've had the satin pillowcases from curlmart for years and recently bought a 2nd set. i made a lining for the hood of my rain jacket from one. it always makes my hair soft and curly, never any frizz and that is in the rain. i find when i wake up after sleeping on these pillowcases my hair is frequently curlier than the night before.
so, while i know you can buy cheaper ones in many stores, i've had good luck with these. they've been through hundreds of washes and dryer runs, and still in perfect condition.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: [I] curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
I have ordered from a seller, Feeling Pampered, from ebay. The pillowcases I ordered were 100%, 19 momme charmeuse silk so they are not thin. They are very slippery so I am not sure what the difference is between 100% silk and 100% silk charmeuse. (My understanding of charmeuse it that a fabric is woven to have a satin finish that is either made from silk or a synthetic material like polyester). They come in many colors and arrive beautifully packaged in a pretty organza pouch. They are well made and withstand regular washes. The shipping was very reasonable as well.
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
Too many others to list!
When I was on the hunt for a new pillow case, I started with satin. I didn't like it at all. It made my head sweat and it often fell of the bed. It is slippery as opposed to silky IMO. I really didn't like it.

I'm not 100% certain how accurate this is for all companies, but I was told that silk charmeuse has some cotton blended in. The pillowcase was quite expensive; I found it at a specialty shop locally. It was 60% silk and 40% cotton. I really preferred it to the satin, but nowhere near as much as the 100% silk case that I have.

The silk pillowcases I finally settled on were the ones by Dream Sack. Honeyfig used to sell them; unfortunately they no longer do. They were on sale at the time. I love these pillow cases. They wash really well - much better than the silk charmeuse. I wash them in the machine on delicate and in the dryer on low. 20-25 minutes is all they need to dry and they dry really nicely. As long as you take them out as soon as the dryer stops, they don't wrinke too much. The silk charmeuse had to be ironed. Sounds crazy to even consider ironing a pillowcase, but I didn't like the feel of them if I didn't. They are very silky feeling (slippery), but in a different way than the satin. I love sleeping on silk. It made a big difference in my hair and in my skin. I never wake up with those nasty lines on my face anymore. They also made a huge difference in my daughter's hair. I'd never go back to sleeping on cotton again. When I travel, they travel with me.

HTH .... Dream Sacks or any other company that sells 100% silk is the way to go IMO !!

Originally Posted by FrizzBgone

I checked the material label on the Feeling Pampered pillowcases. It says 100% silk. I hope it's legit and there is no cotton in it. I really like these pillowcases. If I order more, I'll email and ask them first. I really only want 100% silk. Thanks for the heads up FBg.
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
Too many others to list!
Originally Posted by FrizzBgone
Do the link to the Dream Sacks I posted look like the same type? It says Habotai silk, though, and doesn't look super shiny from their picture, hence my concern. Does this look like the same pillow you had?: http://www.dreamsack.com/store/beddi...llowcases.html

It does seem like a good company, so I might drop them an email about which of their silk pillows is least grabby (and thus least frizz-forming).. but I'm not sure about this habotai. Maybe it really is smooth but not shiny though.

Edit: This was their response to my email:

The difference between Habotai silk and Charmeuse silk is only in hand feel. Both of ours have the same momme weight. Habotai has a a matte appearance and a sand washed texture. Charmeuse has a shiny appearance and a slippery feel. No, real Charmeuse silk does not contain any cotton. Our customers buy both types for what you are wanting to use it for. I hope this helps.

Last edited by violagirl23; 06-23-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Edit: This was their response to my email:

Originally Posted by violagirl23
Hi There ... thanks for clarifying the info on Charmeuse Silk. The ones I ordered from them were definitely the Charmeuse silk:

It must have just been the company that I ordered from that called it Charmeuse ... which meant cotton/silk blend. I love the pillowcases I ordered from Dream Sack. I'd definitely go with the charmeuse blend ones, as opposed to the matte, Habotai cases. The Habotai silk looks like the ones I bought that had the cotton added in (not saying that there is, they just look like it). I much prefer the slippery feel of the Charmeuse silk from Dream Sacks. I've had mine for over 2yrs now and they look as good as they did when I first got them. They are great quality and wash and dry really well.
Here you go! Dharma Trading Company has high quality silk pillowcases for $10.45.
Peace,
Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
CGing since July 2008
I inquired whether pillowcases from feelingpampered.com is 100% silk. Here is the response I received:

"We only sell 100% silk beddings, no cottons or blends what so ever. Our descriptions also stated very clearly that our beddings are 100% pure mulberry silk. Hope you will give our wonderful silk pillowcases a try.

Best Regards
Rebecca
Feeling Pampered Inc.
Unique gifts like silk pillowcase that pampers you
626-297-8668"

I need a king size pillowcase, and dharmatrading.com only has standard sizes. FYI.
3c, low porosity, course hair. Henna gal. BC'd 23 Oct 11.

Lowpoo: TJ's TTT, Terresessentials Lemon Hair Mud, CJ Daily Fix
CO: V05 MM Strawberries & Creme
Wash Out: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle & Rose
LI: Aussie Moist, CJ's Beauticurls
Stylers: Blue Ecostyler, KCCC, Aloe Vera Gel
Moisturizer: Shea Butter, Qhemet Biologics BRBC
violagirl: which pillowcase did you end up buying? would you mind letting us know how it worked out for you?

Update: I bought the 100% silk pcases fr dharma trading and they're great! Not sure how much it helps w frizz but it sure is comfy!
3a, fine+med textures; med dens (ii); low porosity; nrml elasticity; frizz; protein sens.
CG since Sept '11

Products:
NO sulfates, cones, parabens
Co-wash- Desert Essences Frag Free
Condish- Acure Lemongrass or AO Blue Camomile
DT- Jessicurl
Styling- AOMM + KCCC or Alaffia BeautCurls Shea LI+KCCC
Extras- wkly ACV, br sug scrub for scalp issues
Techniques:
scrunch in prods to soaking wet hair (no combing), flour sack dry, clip roots, air dry, SOTC

Last edited by coricourt; 11-30-2011 at 04:34 AM.
I just bought a 100% silk pillowcase from RESTore Silk [restoresilk(dot)com] I received a set as a gift and loved it so much that I bought another set and it's been great. It looks brand new though I've been using it for a 6 months now. It's more money but worth it because of the cost per use, btw I wash it every week. It's definitely my favorite brand b/c it holds up after washing. I've personally noticed that the cheaper brands have cheap construction.
Oops! didn't realize how old this post was. lol