Queen Helene Royal Curl review thread with other discussion links

There was no actual thread in the Reviews forum for Queen Helene Royal Curl, so I thought I'd post my review here and link the other threads (that I know of) that talk about the products.

Product links:

Queen Helene: Hair Care Products

My review:

Stay Clean Shampoo - It's opaque and creamy with a mild citrus scent. It lathers very lightly. My hair doesn't feel stripped at all when I use it. In fact, I didn't think it cleaned my hair well until my hair was completely dry after styling and I was amazed at how good (and clean) it felt.

Moisturizing Conditioner - Very thick. Reminds me of Sally's GVP. Good conditioning. It has BTMS in it, so I can co wash with it. I tried co washing and it worked just fine.

Curl Shaping Creme - I really like this. It reminds me of SS FHG, but a little runnier. It has more hold than SS FHG, and any crunch scrunches out.

Overall, I love these three products and I will use them often! I get great curls and great volume. After a week of using them, my hair is a bit dry, so I may have to alternate with CJDF and use more moisturizing products, but my hair is curlier and has more volume when it is a tiny bit dry.

Other threads:

Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix,
Tigi MM
Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG

Last edited by solidgold; 06-26-2011 at 06:10 AM. Reason: added thread link
I'm having trouble finding the ingredients for the shampoo and the conditioner online. Would you (or anyone else) mind posting them? Thanks in advance!
Queen Helene Royal Curl Stay Clean Shampoo:
Aqua (Water) Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate Cocamidopropyl Betaine Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate Polyquaternium-7 Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Fruit Extract Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract (1) Royal Jelly Extract Disodium EDTA Glycerin Glycol Distearate Polyquaternium-10 Phenoxyethanol Potassium Sorbate Sodium Benzoate Benzyl Benzoate Hexyl Cinnamal Linalool Fragrance (Parfum) (1)Sea Kelp

Queen Helene Royal Curl Moisture Rich Conditioner:
Aqua (Water) Cetearyl Alcohol Behentrimonium Methosulfate Polyquaternium-7 Glycerin Polysorbate 60 Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Extract Royal Jelly Extract Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil Disodium EDTA Phenoxyethanol Potassium Sorbate Sodium Benzoate Benzyl Benzoate Hexyl Cinnamal Linalool Fragrance (Parfum)

Queen Helene Royal Curl Shaping Creme:
Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Pectin, Agave Rigida (Sisal) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Royal Jelly Extract, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethanolamine, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Fragrance (Parfum)
Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...4&postcount=97

Thanks for the review! I think I will be giving the curl creme a try
Vanessa
CG since 9/2007
medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
I know from the ingredients I won't like the gel so I didn't try that but I did buy the conditioner. It felt like what I would imagine putting body lotion on my hair would feel like. Coating but not conditioning so I returned it.
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
I tried the Curl Shaping Creme twice. The first time my hair was soft and fluffy with no real hold The second time I used alot more, supersoaked, and got better results, but the glycerin just ain't working for me now. We have very high humidity & dew points, so I guess I'll save it for the winter months and see how it goes. Not bad, but not great, either.
Originally Posted by solidgold
solidgold- I may have to try this conditioner since you are liking it so much! And I like that it is BTMS in it...
2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
I just tried the curl shaping cream and love it on my 3c 4a hair. The texture is a mixture of flax seed gel and KCCC. It does not have as much hold as Eco styler gel and about the same as KCCC. I could probably get second day hair out of it. I have to use a lot of it. It plays well with other products that contain oils. It's not available near me, but Whole Foods ordered it for me and it was 7.99. Don't care for the scent, but for the price I would DEFINITELY repurchase.
3c/4a, low porosity
Detangler: Whole leaf AVJ
Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean
Rinse Out Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish Spa or V05 MM
Leave In Conditioner: KCKT, Elucence MB
Deep Conditioner: Add honey and olive oil to any conditioner
Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root or Amla Heavy Oil
Stylers: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Custard (eco styler gel + olive oil), Jane Carter Curl Cream
Oils: Olive, jojoba, coconut
Butters: NONE!
I love Queen Helen products! The shampoo and conditioner leaves my hair soft, moist, and it helps redefine my curls. It is very gentle and works wonders for everyday use for those with sensitive skin. And I love the mild sent!

However, I don't recommend The Royal Curl Shaping Cream, which is more like a Gel. As a 4a it made my hair very dry, coarse, brittle, crunchy. But I love the line of other products--shampoo, conditioner, oils. My only regret is I can only find the product in Whole Foods.

Last edited by KrisyCurl; 07-07-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Ok, so I tried the shampoo and conditioner...And I LOVE the shampoo. Smells very clean, lathers nicely, and does not make my hair tangled or feel brittle. In fact, I feel like it helped with detangling...I could almost run my fingers through my hair while the shampoo was in.

As for the conditioner...The end result was nice, but I felt like the conditioner did not detangle very easily. I put some in my hair and felt like I really had to work at getting the tangles out. I added more conditioner to my hair and that seemed to help. But my hair (once styled) looked pretty good.

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
Here's my review of the shaping creme with a pic of what my hair looked like. The product itself: slightly tacky in the hair but dries perfectly clean. It's just different than the slippery feeling gels I have been using lately. I actually really like the smell- I can't place it, but I think it reminds me of some old school cheap shampoo. To me it's a very clean smell.

My first trial using this was this past Saturday. I was very hesitant because the dews were in the low to mid 60's, but it really didn't feel humid out so I decided to take a chance. Overall I am very pleased and I look forward to some more experimenting. I didn't get the greatest curl enhancement, but I got absolutely no frizz or poof. It dried with zero crunch and my hair felt soft, but I did use a lot of moisture during the styling process, possibly a little too much (AND while it was drying it was windy during a bike ride I took). Notice in the pic my crown looks a little producty. I did a mini DT while I shaved in the shower, a decent amount of LI, about a quarter size amount of the QH throughout, and then a first attempt at sealing by smoothing just a tiny bit of jojoba oil on my ends and crown. Next time I think I will try a little less LI and maybe something else in place of the oil on my crown.

I wanted to see what my 2nd day hair would be like (my favorite hair day), but I laid around all day Sunday so i didn't have a reason to re-style It's Monday now and my hair still feels very clean and has a nice, soft wave. I should also note that my sensitive scalp was not irritated at all. I haven't colored in months so I wasn't concerned about color being stripped, but I would hope that the moisture being added under and over the product might help with that? I will be adding more red the next time I get my hair colored so that will be something to look out for. I'm going to try the QH again the next time I wash, I'll update in the future if I'm still loving it or have any major discoveries about it
Attached Thumbnails
Queen Helene Royal Curl review thread with other discussion links-queen-helene-curl-shaping-creme.jpg
2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
I am getting the best hair by using the Royal Curl conditioner as a co-wash with AOMM as a styler.
Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...4&postcount=97

Question: has anyone used the moisturizing conditioner ar a leave-in?
4a/3c curls
Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
Team Wash and Go!
iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
Yes I have but you have to blot it real good with a towel. I really didn't like the finished result. Let my hair a little dry.
Originally Posted by KrisyCurl
Thanks - I will be on the look out for this. I might only try it once. I am trying to use up some bottles I bought on impulse.
4a/3c curls
Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
Team Wash and Go!
iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
I just started using it. In sections, I apply it and follow it up with castor oil to seal. Then finger comb/rake it through. Love it so far.

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlTalk App
Hi all.

I've been using the QH Curl shaping creme and it does give me GREAT DEFINITION like KCCC! When used alone after cw my hair it dried really hard then felt dry/brittle for the next 4 days and my scalp was VERY ITCHY While I LOVE/LOVED the definition I just hate the dry/brittle feel. I tried it again today with Miss Jessie's hair milk underneath and my curl definition is there....but not as much as the creme alone and my hair feels softer. However, my scalp is still very ITCHY Anyone else experiencing this????
Hi all.

Originally Posted by jazzy curlz
Itchy means that you are allergic to something. That doesn't get better. For me, itchy becomes "burn" if I continue to use the product. I've learned to not do that. I'm not allergic to this product, but am allergic to a lot of others--CK, Shea M LI, anything Bioterra.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix