Didn't Want to Like It...

• 1 Post By Greatcurls
  • 1 Post By rbb
  • 1 Post By Greatcurls

My hair likes only certain oils*: tamanu, mongongo, and ungurahua. Otherwise, oils make my hair greasy, dry, and definitely not soft. And, my scalp is left greasy and itchy.

While "window shopping" in Sephora, I sampled the Living Proof No Frizz Nourishing Oil on a section of dehydrated hair. Product claims: "A fast-absorbing oil that nourishes even the coarsest hair. This nourishing oil blend was specifically formulated to mimic hairís natural oil composition, providing coarse hair breakthrough frizz protection for smooth, shiny, healthy- and hydrated-feeling hair."

About a minute later, I said out loud, "What happened?! The section that was dehydrated was soft, moisturized, not greasy, and frizz-free. I really didn't expect good results, especially based on the first two ingredients, The results remained that way for two days, and that's pretty good since the humidity at home and the offices are 15-20%.

The third day, two sections were set aside after shampooing/conditioning: one completely dry and the other damp. The results were the same for both sections as the first time, but I tended to use more than necessary on the damp section (wanted to make sure I used enough), and that section took a while to absorb the oil.The other section absorbed it within a minute.

A few days ago, I decided to use the oil on my entire head (about 99% dry) before styling. Four complete pumps were used, and waited until the oil was absorbed before applying a styling product. Still pleased with the results!

The 3.4 oz bottle WILL last at least the rest of the year because during humid months I don't use oil. The bottle has a pump, so you can control how much comes out. Worth the money!
curlypearl likes this.

*experimenting and loving it!
i looked at the ingredients found those two in an article by tonya mckay 3/08. she wrote:

"Isododecane, Isohexadecane

These ingredients are branched alkanes (-ane), which are molecules comprised only of carbon and hydrogen. Isodocane and isohexadecane are small, branched molecules, and are chemically very pure due to their synthetic origins. These hydrocarbon olefins are not petroleum distillation byproducts as many other raw materials often are, but are synthesized via highly advanced processes from very pure starting material.

They are used in cosmetics due to their low toxicity, low skin irritation, no color and no odor. Isododecane can be used as s solvent for higher molecular weight water insoluble components such as silicones. Isohexadecane is valued for its non-greasy or tacky feel and its ability to impart a silky, smooth texture to skin and hair. It has excellent spreadability for both skin and hair also. Neither of these molecules is a silicone, but they are both insoluble in water. Due to their fairly simple and compact hydrocarbon structure."

let me know how this continues to work as you go along. when living proof was first out i did buy one of the products which after 2 days or so my hair hated.
mbeckhhp likes this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: [I] curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
Will do! Sometimes, I think how a product is formulated is a major factor. Any product with Petroleum or it's derivatives does not do well on my hair or scalp; but, I've tried well formulated products that included them and they were fine. One example is Nairobi leave-in conditioner.

For some reason, when Isododecane and Isohexadecane were on labels several years ago, my hair just became brittle and greasy. Yet with the LP Nourishing Oil, no problem so far.

Hopefully, I won't have any.
mbeckhhp likes this.

*experimenting and loving it!

Hopefully, I won't have any.

*experimenting and loving it!
UPDATE: Still loving it! About a week ago, it was placed on a "crunchy" section of a wash and go. Within a few minutes (about 5), that section had an awesome shine, was soft, and still had definition without being greasy.

*experimenting and loving it!
My hair loves this too. It has drastically reduced my frizz.
2b, 2c,
High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse