Breakage and an angry scalp. Help!

I have 2c/3a curls, and my hair is long and layered. For the past year or so, my hair has been breaking easily and is noticably thinner to me, and my scalp is extremely irritated. It is dry, itchy, and often red where it's irritated. I don't use dandruff shampoo, and I've really watched what types of products I use because I thought maybe I was reacting to the alcohol in hairspray or something like that, but nothing has helped. Does anyone have any suggestions of products or tips they can give me? 

1 Answer

1. I would analyze every product you've been using and see if you have an allergy to any of them.2. Discontinue products with alcohol or cutback on their use.3. Do hot oil treatments. Massage your'e scalp for 15 minutes. Try coconut oil, olive oil, peppermint oil, and Jamaican black castor oil. 4. You are what you eat! If you are eating something that youre body is reacting too that could be the problem. Too much dairy or sugar can be causing your scalp to go crazy5. There are hair oils that can help with irritation. Here's an article on some you can try! My favorite (yes I have used this for my super dry scalp), is shea moisture dandruff and dry scalp elixir. It's spray bottle with black and orange labeling.7. See if you can cowash rather than using shampoo, Or add your favorite conditioner to your shampoo (just a little). You can also replace your shampoo with Apple cider vinegar and water. This will help balance the PH of your hair and scalp. Your shampoo could be further drying out your scalp. 8. Drink as much water as you possibly can during the day. Try to drink your weight in ounces in water. This will help detox whatever bacteria there is if its causing this from inside out.Things to Keep in mind are that this can also be caused by your hormones. If you just had children, if youve been feeling really stressed, if you are on birth control - all of these can play into why your scalp is irritated. If this doesnt end after trying these things for 2 weeks at the most, try to go to a dermatologist if you can and get a proper diagnoses and help on what the condition of your scalp is. It may even uncover an underlying health problem that could be the cause.Hope this helps love! xo