Dear CurlySuzy: I need help with my granddaughter's hair problems. She is a mix of 3b and 3c. Lots of hair—if she does not wear a pony tail, she will come up home from school with her hair very wild. Since she is only nine years old, she still does not care too much about it, but her mother and I do.
Dear Magda: I am going to give you a bunch of product suggestions and tips. I hope you do not find it too overwhelming. Please know that you are welcome to email me with questions about any of this.
I think the best bet for your granddaughter's curls are products from two of our children's lines and a few other products. They are all specific to curls for little ones and Curlies that need extra moisture. They are gentle and have a lot of moisturizing ingredients ( *they are all silicone free). I hope this helps.
If you do decide to go shopping with us please use the 10% discount coupon - SUZY10.
- Curly Q's Curlie Cutie Cleansing Cream
- Blended Cutie Silky Swirls Shampoo
- Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner
- Kinky-Curly Come Clean
Good mild sulfate-free cleansers
Try to use a sulfate-free shampoo on her curls—most shampoos are super drying and won't help her curls. Also you don't really need to wash curls very often; you can co-wash them on some days (wash with the conditioner). There are also sulfate-free cleansers in stores; I like Giovanni Organics and Tigi Bedhead Super Star (pink tube).
- Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Conditioner
- Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner
- Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Moisturizing Conditioner
- Curly Q's Coconut Dream Moisturizing Conditioner
- Blended Cutie Tug Me Not Conditioner
Conditioners that you can put on in the bath and comb through her curls with a wide-toothed comb really makes detangling a breeze—she can probably do this herself as well if that is an option. Try to leave it on for at least 5 minutes or more before combing. You can also use these for co-washing her hair.
These will really help with frizz and curl definition.
- Blended Cutie Curly Cake Shake (spray)
- Darcy's Botanicals Daily Leave-In Conditioner
- Curl Junkie BeautiCurls Leave-In Conditioner
- Kinky-Curly Knot Today
- Curl Junkie Hibiscus Banana Honey Butta Leave-In Conditioner
- Blended Cutie Down and Out Styles
This will keep the moisture in and helps with definition and frizz. Start at the ends and work your way up. You might have to clip up the curls in sections and work your way through the hair with the spray or cream.
Stylers to use over leave-in conditioner
These hold curl and keep away frizz.
- Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle
- Darcy's Botanicals Natural Coils Curling Jelly
- Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles
- Oyin Handmade Shine and Define Styling Serum
These are all very concentrated so go easy with them
Blended Beauty Hair Demo videos
These videos are good for how to use the Blended Cutie/Blended Beauty products. She is a mom of 4 girls, so her demos are fantastic!
Curl Refresher Sprays
Good to use on dry hair to style, great for bedhead and midday frizz.
Info about silicones
Products with non-water-soluble silicones can cause build up which leads to dryness and frizz.
Not Water Soluble- Amodimethicone, Behenoxy Dimethicone, Cetearyl Methicone, Cetyl Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Stearoxy Dimethicone, Stearyl Dimethicone, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone
Water Soluble- Dimethicone Copolyol, Hydrolized Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane, Lauryl methicone Copolyol, PEG -12 Dimethicone, PEG- 8 Dimethicone, any PEG-modified Dimethicone