Treat your skin to an at-home steam facial!
As a college student, I am always looking for inexpensive ways to take care of my skin, especially in the summer months. Our skin tends to produce extra oils in the heat and humidity and if we don’t find a way to cleanse properly, the oil buildup can quickly lead to congested pores and acne.
I found that cleansing and regularly using an exfoliating scrub was not enough for my skin. There was still extra buildup and my skin wasn’t as soft anymore. After searching the web for natural skincare remedies, I settled on the following process. I have done it twice and I am already noticing a huge difference in my skin.
The process involves three major components: steaming, exfoliating, and moisturizing. I would recommend trying it at night. The lavender oil is a great relaxant and it will work best with a heavier, nighttime moisturizer.
You will need:
- 2 cups of water
- A handful of fresh or dried basil (antioxidant and antibacterial)
- 5 drops of lavender oil (antioxidant and anti-inflammatory; muscle relaxer)
- Baking soda (as an exfoliator)
- Combine the water, basil and lavender on the stovetop. Boil for five minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the stove and pour it into a wide, shallow bowl. Let it sit for a minute before beginning the steam—if it’s too hot, you could burn your skin.
- Position your face over the bowl and let the steam hit your face. Wrap a light dishtowel over your head and the bowl to keep the steam from escaping. Steam for 8-10 minutes.
- When you are finished with the steam, combine baking soda and water to make a paste. Lightly scrub your skin with the paste. When it is evenly applied, let it dry. This may sting, if you have sensitive skin. Redness is normal.
- Once the baking soda past dries, wash it off with cold water. Follow up with a scrub—try to find something gentle and nonabrasive. I use Origins Never A Dull Moment.
- Finally, use a toner and seal with moisturizer. I use Origins A Perfect World and Neutrogena Ageless Essentials Continuous Hydration: Night.
For the best results, try this steam once a week. You will definitely notice a difference after the first time, but if you are consistent with the process, you will notice major improvements to your skin. It will be cleaner and softer and over time, your pores will begin to diminish.
Do you have any homemade skincare treatments?
This entry was posted on Friday, July 6th, 2012 at 5:00 pm and is filed under Beauty & Style, Skincare. You can follow any comments to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a comment. Pinging is currently not allowed.