Los Angeles naturals come out in full force for glam summertime bash.
On Saturday August 13, naturals from all over Southern California came together to celebrate the culmination of the six-month Kim Coles Grow-Out Challenge sponsored by Jessicurl. The Challenge brought together over 1,000 bloggers to share their journeys as they transitioned into their natural hair. The online community spirit of sharing, learning and meeting was very much brought to life at the event, where smiles were exchanged, tips were shared, and new friends were made.
“It’s so moving to see all of these textured heads in one place,” gushed a partygoer. “This is the best natural hair event I’ve been to yet!”
The event, which took place in a three-story penthouse in downtown Los Angeles, with sweeping views of the skyline, provided the opportunity to meet and chat with Kim Coles, CurlyNikki and Jess McGuinty of Jessicurl, while mixing and mingling with fellow naturalistas.
Find out what you missed, and get the same tips from the event experts as you would have, had you gone!
Grow-Out Challenge Celebration Highlights
- Several prominent bloggers were in the mix such as Elle from Quest for the Perfect Curl, Angel from K is for Kinky, and Nikia Phoenix of Model Liberation.
- Stylists from Beverly Hills-based natural hair salon Mahogany Revolution showed expert styling tips and techniques using Jessicurl products and answered attendee’s hair-related questions about everything from scalp health to which products to use for twist-outs to trim frequency.
- Natural hair groups, such as Showing My Roots from San Diego, and enthusiasts from all over came to the event traveling from as far as New York! CurlyNikki arrived to the event with Lynne W, the winner of the Grow Out Challenge, who was flown from Ohio for the event.
- Eleven-month old baby, Gia, showed off her little twist and “stinky face.”
Curly Hair Tips from the Experts
For those of you who were not able to make it, we’ve brought a little bit of the event back for you to experience. Here are a few Jessicurl product styling tips from Dr. Kari Williams, renowned trichologist and founder of Mahogany Revolution, that were demonstrated and explained at the event:
- For thicker, coarser hair types, enhance the curl by twisting the hair and allowing it to set. For added volume and texture, after twisting the hair, group twists together in small sections and create bantu knots. Allow them to set. When you undo the knots, your twists and twist-out will have extra body and curl.
- To add length to twists, first blow dry hair using a heat protectant. Use medium heat to stretch curls, and then twist the hair using styling products. For twists on tighter curl patterns and coarser hair textures, use the Jessicurl Aloeba conditioner or Jessicurl Too Shea conditioner. Thicker hair types and tighter curl patterns are also advised to use Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment after every shampoo.
- Add the Jessicurl Oil Blend to conditioner for extra lubrication during conditioning. You’ll get a deep condition and hot oil treatment at once. The oil can also be massaged into hair prior to twisting the hair for additional lubrication. For super dry hair, massage oil into hair prior to shampooing and allow it to sit for two to three minutes.
- To enhance your curls, prep hair with Jessicurl Rockin Ringlets then follow up with Jessicurl Confident Coils. For thicker hair types use the Jessicurl Aloeba Daily Conditioner for more definition.
- Add volume and remove moisture from your hair by using a hair diffuser.
Oh, you thought this was the only natural hair event NaturallyCurly.com has thrown? No way! Check out some of our others!
Check out some of our favorite snaps from the Kim Coles/CurlyNikki Grow Out Challenge Celebration!
Angel from K is for Kinky and Nikia Phoenix of Model Liberation.
Miss Ashley of San Diego’s top natural hair meet up group – Showing My Roots.
Curlies of all ages enjoyed the party and the Jessicurl samples.
Dr. Kari of Mahogany Hair Revolution demonstrates a bantu knot out on a model.
Jess of Jessicurl smiles for the camera with Michelle of Hair Therapy Wraps.
Kim Coles shows of her pearly whites and her perfect finger coils!
Kim Cole and CurlyNikki share a warm embrace and natural love.
Baby Gia enjoying the event with mom.
Lots of great hair styles = lots of great pictures = lots of cameras.
Summer of Mahogany Hair Revolution and Kim Coles having a blast.
Nikki Poses with a fan.
A stylist demonstrates how to enhance curl definition using Jessicurl Confident Coils.
Elle rocking a big-hair, bantu knot-out.
Nicole of Hair Liberty back in town for the weekend to enjoy the party!
Kristie rocks her cropped hair beautifully!
This entry was posted on Sunday, August 14th, 2011 at 5:35 pm and is filed under Care Methods, Celebrity, hairstyles. You can follow any comments to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a comment. Pinging is currently not allowed.