Keep your curls healthy—even in blistering heat.
Summertime is here and your mind may very well be focused on the beach or pool, but, if you aren’t careful, along with those beautiful summer days can come dehydrated, dry and brittle hair. What routines can you take to care for your curly locks during the summer? Follow these basic summer curly hair tips to keep your hair healthy and looking good through those hot summer days.
- Fight the Frizz It’s almost inevitable: when the sun rises up, so does frizzy hair.
To avoid frizz, be sure to deep condition your curls at least once a week. You can use products such as Frizz-Ease from John Frieda. This will help to fortify and silken dry, damaged hair, restoring moisture for flawless results.
- Swimmer's Hair To avoid frizz, be sure to deep condition your curls at least once a week. You can use products such as Frizz-Ease from John Frieda. This will help to fortify and silken dry, damaged hair, restoring moisture for flawless results.
One of the easiest curly hair tips for swimming is to wet your hair in tap water before jumping into the pool. This will help prevent too much absorption of chlorinated water. You can also protect your hair with a leave-in-conditioner, such as Redken’s UV Rescue Swim Cream. Reapply to protect your hair as it dries in the sun.
- Condition, Condition, Condition To maintain your curly, no-frizz locks, follow these curly hair tips to keep your hair hydrated and conditioned. Start by keeping yourself hydrated by drinking water throughout the day. By keeping your body hydrated, you are keeping your hair healthy.
For extra hydration, use hydrating shampoos and conditioners. Massage the hydrating shampoo into your hair thoroughly. Rinse completely and lather in the hydrating conditioner. Let the conditioner sit for a few minutes then rinse with tepid water. Try to avoid shampooing your curly hair every day to prevent it from drying even further.
- Turn Down the Heat Hot irons, blow dryers and hot rollers, oh my—the damage these can cause!
Try to limit the use of blow dryers and other hot items on your hair. To keep your curly hair looking healthy and styled without using any hot products, consider using a leave in product after washing your hair. You can use either a hair serum or hair gel after washing your hair and let your hair air dry for a more natural look without the damage of heat styling.
- Protect Your Hair in Style Flaunt your curls and go out in style, even in the heat! Protect your hair by wearing colorful headscarves or summer hats. This will keep your hair from having direct contact with the sun.