This season’s color list for curls includes Black is Back, Honey Drift, Caramel Swirl and Cinnamon Spice.
They are pretty luscious and for curls and waves they make great color options for fall and winter. These seasons bring about some of the best inspirations for hair color due to their rich and elegant hues. It’s easy to find a color that will work for your hair and skin tone with a fall/winter pallette.
Curly and wavy hair have the added benefit of being able to soak up color and allow texture to serve as highlights for all types of color!
Whether you're making the change at a salon or at home, be sure to take these steps into consideration.
Professional Coloring Tips
- Select colors and shades you like and bring pictures of them to your stylist. You and your stylist will have an easy place to start and communicate with one another.
- Discuss options with your stylist and find out which are right for you. Consider adding high or low lights to your hair to avoid going too dark or too bright.
- Ask your stylist about new color hair care. You may need to touch up roots every 4-7 weeks, depending on your growth and the color you’ve selected.
- Maintain your color by using color-care products at home.
Coloring at Home
If you’ve already had a few stylists opinions, or know which colors work for you, the “at home” option is also another choice.
- Strand test. It’s important to remember to stick with brands you know and trust and always try strand tests.
- Use distilled water. Pour out about 1/3 of the developer and replace it with distilled water. Really? Yes, really. Milder formulas are better suited for curls and waves, the color sits better by processing at home color this way.
- Don't shampoo. When using at home color, try not to shampoo for 2-3 days before you apply color. The natural oils in your hair and scalp can actually help to make for a better color process.
- Use a lot of conditioner. When you’re ready, mix your color and apply. Once you have allowed your color to sit for 20-30 minutes, according to what the directions state, rinse and follow up with LOTS of conditioner.
- Deep condition. In addition to adding color to your fall/winter hair, you also have to double up on maintaining moisture for your curls and waves. Deep condition 7-10 days after your color.