Kinky Hair (Type 4)
While doing my daily internet crawl for anything hair related, I came across a form of styling twists that is too gorgeous to be summed up in this one article. At first glance, it appears far too intricate to be attempted by the average curly, but in actuality, it is super easy to do. All you will need are bobby pins, a thin seamless hair band and a styler of your choice.
For long hair:
- Gather your hair into a low, side ponytail and secure it with a seamless hair tie. Then, grab medium sections of your hair and twist them using your styler for hold. Continue to do this until there is no more loose hair in your ponytail.
- Take one twist and begin to spin it around itself until it forms a wheel or a pin curl. Then, lay the pin curl against your head and pin it into place with a bobby pin. Continue to roll and pin the rest of your twists stopping to look in the mirror every so often to ensure that your pin curls create a bun shape. Feel free to layer your pin curls for more dimension.
- Please note that smaller twists mean more pin curls, which will mean that you will have the ability to create a wider, more layered bun. However, if your twists are too small, you will not be able to pin curl them.
For short hair:
- Instead of doing a ponytail, try flat twisting or cornrowing the front of your hair and twisting the back.
- Doing a twist at a time, spin the twist around itself to create a wheel or pin curl and pin it to your head using a bobby pin. Repeat this until all of your twists have been turned into pin curls and bobby pinned.
- Using a handheld mirror, take a peek at the back of your head and reposition any pin curls to hide any scalp that peeks through. If done correctly, you will have created a more whimsical take on the tired bun or created a rose garden of a style. For added interest, try clipping in small flowers or butterfly clips to keep with the flower theme.
College curlies are always on the run, so we dished up our favorite quick & easy curly hairstyles for undergrads!
There you have it ladies, three styles that will have your friends wondering how you found the time to have such wonderful hair and still get good grades.
Until then, remember to have love, peace and curly haired bliss!