Need another reason to love marshmallows? You already know that they are delicious in hot chocolate, but did you know that the root of althaea officinalis or “marshmallow plant” is great for your hair?
Tons of Mucilage = Detangled, Soft Hair
Marshmallow root is popular in the hair care world because it contains a high percent of mucilage—a thick, gluey substance produced by nearly all plants. Mucilage takes on a slippery texture when mixed with water, which makes it great for detangling and softening hair. Products like Kinky Curly Knot Today boasts “organic marshmallow root” in its ingredients, which explains why it is so effective! Marshmallow root tends to soothe a dry or itchy scalp also.
Want to try it? Read on for a great, all-natural detangling recipe!
You Will Need:
- 1 ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup dried marshmallow root (you can find it online or in a natural foods store)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tbsp olive oil or jojoba oil
- Combine the marshmallow root and water in a small pot and simmer over medium-low heat for 15 to thirty minutes. This “activates” the mucilage. Remove the pot from the stove and let the mixture cool.
- Strain the mixture, reserving the liquid.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and olive oil or jojoba oil.
- Store the mixture into a spray bottle and use as needed! Be sure to shake the mixture before spraying it on your hair.
If you’re looking for an even simpler recipe, stop after step two. Then use the mixture as a hair rinse in the shower.