We know you love your naturally curly hair, but how do you show it that you care? By giving it the special moisturizing attention it needs to stay healthy and grow strong. The most nourishing treatments for your natural curls are gentle natural products without harsh, drying or potentially irritating ingredients.SheaMoisture, a family brand, understands what a curl wants and what a curl needs! SheaMoisture makes it easy to care for your natural hair with four lines of products for different hair textures and needs, full of naturally nourishing ingredients. They left out all of the bad stuff but added in lots of good stuff to provide the best solutions to your hair care needs.
Why Avoid These Ingredients?
What should I avoid?
- Sulfates: The most commonly used harsh sulfates found in most shampoos include sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) and ammonium lauryl sulfate (ALS). They can irritate the scalp and strip hair of much needed natural oils, leaving you with dry, frizzy curls.
- Phthalates: The main phthalates used in cosmetic products are dibutylphthalate (DBP), dimethylphthalate (DMP) and diethylphthalate (DEP). They might also be listed as "butyl ester" or "plasticizer." Studies reveal phthalates as reproductive and developmental toxins. Why take such a high health risk for cheap, dangerous products?
- Paraffins: These are usually listed as "liquid paraffin." Paraffins are petroleum distillates, which means that they are derived from petroleum or crude oil. Did you know that the European Union restricts or prohibits these and other petroleum distillates as possible human carcinogens?
- Gluten: If you have any wheat or other grain allergies, you need to stay away from products containing gluten, a protein found in grains such as wheat, barley, rye and triticale to avoid having skin irritations or reactions.
- Propylene Glycol: Propylene glycol is a clear liquid used in antifreeze and cosmetic products. Frequent skin exposure to propylene glycol can irritate the skin.
- Mineral Oil: Mineral oil is another byproduct of the refinement process of crude oil into its refined forms such as gasoline. It is used in hair products as a moisturizer, but it's actually a lubricant that sits on top of the hair. There is strong evidence that mineral oil is toxic to the human immune and respiratory systems, and is a possible carcinogen.
see more on the next page...
With the exception of a few specific ingredients, the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) does not approve cosmetic ingredients. Cosmetic companies are responsible for substantiating the safety of their products and ingredients. As a result, the cosmetics industry is the least regulated industry under the jurisdiction of the FDA. While we all want safe ingredients in our products, the standard for what’s safe isn’t always agreed upon, which is why you should be knowledgeable about what’s in your hair products and determine for yourself what ingredients you are comfortable with. Some ingredients may be safe but can irritate people with sensitivities and generally don’t work well over time. Your best defense is to read every ingredient label!
Once you know what should not be in nourishing natural hair products, what should you be looking for? SheaMoisture products are infused with the following ingredients for healthy natural hair
Yucca & Baobab Collection
The Yucca & Baobab Collection from SheaMoisture is infused with three highly beneficial ingredients. The collection includes Thickening Shampoo, Volumizing Conditioner and Thickening Moisture Mist. If you have thin or fine hair, you can start by cleansing your curls with the Thickening Shampoo that softens, strengthens and thickens hair, while preventing breakage. If you have naturally coily hair, you know it can be very fragile. Use the Volumizing Conditioner to detangle, strengthen and condition hair while pumping volume. You’ll love the fullness and added volume. Continue to reinforce the thickening and strengthening process by moisturizing with the Thickening Moisture Mist.
- Baobab Oil: Our hair and scalp needs to be nourished just like the rest of our body and needs a daily dose of vitamins and nutrients. Baobab oil is pressed from the mineral rich seeds of the baobab fruit, which contains vitamins A, C, D, E and F to fortify and strengthen your hair.
- Yucca: Are you struggling with thinning hair or hair loss? Yucca can help prevent hair loss and aids in thickening hair.
- Biotin: Biotin is a B-vitamin that can help to strengthen the hair follicle. It is often linked with faster, thicker, healthy hair growth because healthy, growing hair requires biotin.