Many naturally curly girls believe that in order to have straight hair, either chemicals or heat must be involved, but this just isn’t true! As a curly girl, you may have recently figured out how to enjoy wearing your hair curly, which is great. However, if you prefer to wear it straight, that’s fine too.
We're all about doing YOU over here at NaturallyCurly, and if doing YOU is doing your hair straight, too, then go for it. But at least let us help you stay perfectly healthy and natural in the process.
Many webpages have techniques of straightening hair without chemicals, but it always involves heat from either a blow dryer or flat iron. This will definitely work, but there are better ways to straighten without either or these. Of course, if you’re not using chemicals, your straightening won’t last long. But if you just want straight hair for that one special occasion, try this all natural hair straightening treatment from BlackHairInformation.
Does it Work?
Before I lead you on a wild goose chase for all the products mentioned below, and send you off into the kitchen to make yourself some hair straightening gravy, let me tell you this: I'm not so sure it works. See, all the comments on BlackHairInformation state that the mixture does result in soft, defined, looser coils, but not anything that is necessarily straight.
However, if the treatment loosens the coils of type 4s, then it is likely that for wavies and curlies (type 2 and type 3), it will straighten your tresses. So, textured hair community, we turn to you. Is the all natural hair straightening treatment merely myth or Mary-sent magic?
To the Kitchen!
What You'll Need
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of One Fresh Lemon (Or about 4 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a saucepan, pour the coconut milk and olive oil together and whisk until smooth. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and fresh lemon juice until there are no lumps. You can start with a few tablespoons, but you may need all four.
- When you’re finished, whisk the cornstarch mixture into the coconut milk mixture and put the saucepan over medium heat while continuously whisking. Just like when you’re making gravy, the heat and whisking will liven up the cornstarch, causing it to thicken the liquid. You’ll want to do this until your mixture reaches the consistency of conditioner.
- Working in small sections, apply a liberal amount of the mixture to your hair to ensure that all hair receives the treatment.
- Cover your hair in a shower cap and wrap sit under a hood dryer. If you don’t have access to a hood dryer, you can also wrap your head in a hot towel. Just put a towel in a microwave-safe bowl full of water and heat it up for a few minutes, then — using gloved hands — wring out the excess water. Wrap the towel around your covered hair for about 30 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair as usual and follow it up with a deep conditioner. Then, set your hair with large rollers, cover it with a shower cap and sit under the dryer. Alternatively, you can let it air dry.
- If you’re not opposed to using a flat-iron, doing so will give your hair the most sleek finish. Just be sure you use a heat protectant!
BE FEATURED: The first lady to send in before and after pictures of the treatment will be uploaded to the article and have her story featured on the site!