Looking for an out-of-the-ordinary hairstyle for prom, formal, or banquet? We get that. Clip-in hair extensions are an easy way to add length, volume, and even color to your hair! They can give you a completely new, glamorous look in a matter of minutes. But before you go out in public with hair that's not yours on your head, you'll want to be sure you avoid the common pitfalls of this risky business.
It is important to choose the right length for you, and that will depend on the length of your own hair.
- For short hair (chin length or shorter): 10-14 inches.
- For medium hair (between chin length and collarbone length: 14-18 inches.
- For long hair (past the collarbone): 18 inches or longer.
When you begin your search for clip-in extensions, you'll immediately be faced with the decision between human hair or synthetic.
Human hair extensions will feel the most natural and provide the most styling versatility.
Remy human hair
Remy human hair clip-in extensions are the highest quality, as the cuticles are still in tact.
If you are looking for an inexpensive option, go for synthetic extensions—they are not affected by the weather and are great for short-term use (you will see wear in 1 to 3 months).
Once you've got your length and the type of hair down, the next step is choosing between 1-piece extension or multiple pieces.
- If you’re a beginner, you will probably want to go with the 1-piece system (or a 2-piece system). They are easier to apply without practice or experience.
- Multiple-piece systems are great if you have more experience with clip-in extensions, as they offer more styling options.
Tabloid photos of Britney Spears and her poorly matched extensions come to mind. Don't follow in her footsteps, make sure the extensions match your real hair!
- If you buy synthetic extensions, this means choosing an option that is very similar to your hair texture/color.
- If you buy real hair extensions, you will be able to style both your own hair and your extensions so that they match.
- Divide your hair into two sections, drawing a horizontal line from your right temple to your left temple. Clip the top section up.
- Attach your extensions. Be sure to align the tops of your extensions with the horizontal part, and then push down to close the clips.
- If you are using multiple pieces, attach them one at a time.
- Release the top section of your hair.
- Shake your head to blend your real hair and your extensions.