The Sarah Michelle Gellar
I can’t get over Sarah Michelle Gellar’s curly updo from 2008. The style that she wore at the premiere of "The Air I Breathe" in Los Angeles was absolutely stunning! It’s surprisingly easy to recreate, especially if you have already mastered the French braid.
Separate your hair into two sections. Make sure that each section has the same amount of hair — you want the two French braids to be the same width. French braid the top half of each section of hair and stop at the nape of your neck. When you have finished the two braids, gather the unbraided hair into a loose, textured bun. Finally, finish the style off with a layer of hairspray.
Half and Half
This hairstyle is great for short AND long hair, and it’s really simple! Change it up to fit your personal style. Here are a few ideas:
- Tease the hair at the crown of your head for extra volume.
- Start two small braids at the crown of your head and clip them together near the nape of your neck.
- For some extra holiday sparkle, use rhinestone hair clips.
If you’re in a rush, there’s nothing wrong with resorting to a simple ponytail! Leave one piece of your hair loose and twist it around your hair tie for a polished look. If you're in the mood to change things up, try straightening first.
Smooth Vintage Waves
This look takes more time, but it is sure to turn heads! When you’re finished, your hair will be smooth and shiny. There are more detailed instructions at The Beauty Department, one of my favorite blogs, but here are the basics.
- Create a deep side part.
- Use a 1” barrel curling iron to curl your hair to the side, wrapping towards your face.
- Repeat on the other side of your face.
- Once the curls are finished, spray them with a thin layer of hairspray and allow it to set.
- Gently comb out the curls, touch up the curls, and apply a final layer of hairspray.