What's in apricot seed oil?
Apricot seed oil is rich in nutrients like proteins, soluble sugars, and fibers and unsaturated fatty acids like oleic and linoleic acid (Lee, H., Ahn, J., Kwon. 2014). The oil is rich in plant antioxidants as it is a good source of vitamins A and C but also have vitamins E, K, and even niacin. They have a huge mineral content including copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous and potassium. It has excellent softening and moisturizing properties that aid skin, scalp, and hair as it helps skin retain its elasticity and suppleness. With its natural anti-inflammatory properties it is often used to treat eczema and dermatitis, and when combined with St. John’s Wort it creates a soothing and cooling effect giving an even stronger anti-inflammatory effect.
6 benefits of apricot oil for your hair & scalp
- Apricot seed oil has oleic acid, which is an omega-9 fatty acid and a wonderful emollient that makes hair and scalp softer and more pliable.
- It actually moisturizes the hair and scalp while increasing the hydration level and reducing dryness.
- Linoleic acid benefits hair by stimulating hair growth while staving off moisture loss.
- Linoleic acid is a fatty acid that controls or keeps moisture in the hair and scalp. This makes it a favorite for hair sealants along with its pleasantly light scent.
- This oil provides lubrication to the skin, including the scalp and as a light and gentle lubricant, it is great for sensitive skin types and often used in hair and face creams and rinses.
- It not only seals in the moisture, but it also absorbs small amounts of water from the air’s humidity to help maintain that barrier of hydration inside the strand and scalp. Apricot seed oil leaves hair soft, shiny, and keeps the strands well-nourished and moisturized.
5 ways to use apricot oil
- Add a few drops to your favorite shampoo or deep conditioner to impart extra softness, moisture, and promote healthier hair
- Pre-poo to combat the drying effects of shampoo or to help remove stubborn tangles prior to washing hair
- Apply to wet or even dry hair to boost moisture in second, third, and fourth-day hair to revive curls, coils, and waves
- Finish a style to add shine and softness
- Massage your scalp to rid dryness to scalp and give a light scent soothing to the senses.
5 Products with apricot oil
Not into DIY? Here are a few hair products utilizing the moistening effects of apricot seed oil in their ingredient list:
- Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion
- SheaMoisture Tahitian Noni & Monoi Smooth & Repair High Shine Glosser
- SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo
- Ouidad Color Sense Color-Preserving Shampoo
- Ouidad Color Sense Color-Preserving Conditioner