How many of you woke up this morning and put on thigh high boots, leggings, and your killer sweater dress that hugs every curve on you? Well if you live here in Georgia, there is no way you made it to the car let alone to work. Unless you want to pass out due to a heat stroke your clothing selection has changed in the past 5 months.
Did you know that, for optimal curl performance, your hair care regimen should change with the season just like your wardrobe?
Most curly girls think that their hair just didn’t like the leave-in you stocked up on in February. When the weather changes, your hair and body require different maintenance as well. Don’t just take my word for it, let’s see what 2 of your favorite curly bloggers have to say.
Since moving to Texas, my hair has been suffering a tad bit with the Texas sun. I stay away from oils because the sun will fry my hair. I keep my curls hydrated and wear lots of protective hairstyles! I usually deep condition on the go! I am also careful while entering chlorine-based pools. I often braid my hair before and then deep condition right after the pool.
If you aren’t sure if your hair regimen needs to change get to know your curls on a more intimate level.
Felicia Jones (@hif3licia), curl reviewer and enthusiast, gives very practical advice on knowing when to change things up:
I change my curl regimen with the season if I start to notice my curls are feeling differently. One of the reasons I do daily massages and finger detangle is to get to know how my hair feels. If its feeling brittle and rough I know I need moisture, if they feel weighed down I need to clarify, and if they feel slighted mushy I know to lay off the moisture.
As a professional licensed hair artist I believe in listening to your curls. when I say that I mean becoming familiar with how they feel and respond to the products you are using. It will always be important to study the ingredients on the label. Here are some of the top product picks for the season, according to Marlene and Felicia.
Marlene’s top products this season
- Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo Cleanser. I love how this cleanses my curls, leaving them moisturized.
- Conditioner: DevaCurl Decadence One condition is amazing. I usually leave it in my hair when my hair feels brittle or dry.
- Deep treatment: Ouidad Curl Immersion Triple Treat Deep Conditioner. I love how it hydrates my curls without weighing them down. Whenever my hair feels dry I leave this in for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Leave-in conditioner: Kinky Curly Knot today Leave-In Conditioner. I truly love this leave-in! It slides on smoothly and creates perfect finish curls.
- Styling cream: DevaCurl Supercream Coconut Curl Styler Cream is pricey however it gets the job done.
- Gel: Bounce Curl Light Creme gel with aloe: This gel is everything. I pair it with most of my products! Very light on curls without leaving them crunchy.
- Edge cream: Frizz Free CURLS Blueberry Bliss Edge Control Paste holds my edges down any day!
Felicia's top products this season
- Shampoo: Innersense Organics Hydrating Hairbath and By Made Beautiful PUREifying Rinse. Both are great at removing buildup without stripping my hair.
- Clarifying shampoo: If my hair feels extremely weighed down I use DevaCurl Build Up Buster.
- Conditioner: DevaCurl Decadence One Condition. I love using this conditioner it's so hydrating -- and it makes detangling a breeze. The Innate Life Herbal Conditioner has essential oils, which I love. My curls feel soft and lustrous.
- Deep conditoner: Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair and DevaCurl Heaven in Hair. Both of these deep conditioners have been game changers for me -- they melt into my hair and leave it moisturized even in the warmer weather.
- Leave-in: Acure Organics Argan Stem Cell Leave-in. I love liquid leave ins because they can also be used to refresh your hair throughout the day. This leave in is extremely moisturizing but never weighs my curls down.
- Frizz fighter: DevaCurl One Condition: I love to use a little watered down one condition to control the frizz I sometimes get around my crown. I prefer to use the original one condition as a leave in because the decadence one condition is a little too heavy for my curls.
- Styler: DevaCurl Supercream Coconut Curl Styler. I love this cream because a little goes a long way and my curls get just the right amount of moisture. I love that it's compatible with a lot of other products too! I also like DevaCurl Frizz Free Volumizing Foam. Usually foams give my hair a crunch but I was pleasantly surprised that this foam didn't! I like to use it in my crown area for extra volume. By Made Beautiful True Hydrating Butter -- the smell drew me in and my results made me fall in love!
- Gels: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel, and Bounce Curl Light Creme gel with aloe. Both of these gels give me the hold I want without the crunch. I love that they don't leave my hair feeling or looking dry when I use them. For more hold I smooth about a quarter sized amount in then scrunch. For a softer fluffier look I just mix the gel with water in my hands then scrunch.