Most curly girls are product junkies by default, we just can’t help it, and within a year span, we could try a plethora of new products some are hits but most are misses. So, I decided to reflect on my product choices for 2014 and share the products I discovered and loved in 2014 and here they are:
Crème of Nature’s Argan Oil
Crème of nature came out with an argan oil natural hairline this year. The line included products like hair butters, a curling crème, leave in conditioner and mousse. I didn’t try all of these products but here are the ones I tried, I liked a lot. The best part about this line is that it does not contain any of the ingredients on my no-no list. That includes parabens, mineral oil and petrolatum. They also don’t contain sulfates. The downside, I haven’t been able to find all of these products in one place in my area because the line is so new so I have to pick up what I can when I see it. Anyhow, here are my favorites from this line.
- Pudding Perfection. Touted as a moisture rich, anti-shrinkage curling cream, it pretty much delivers. This product gives my wash and go’s more moisture than almost anything I’ve tried and the price is right, under $10. It leaves my wash and go’s shiny, defined and with less shrinkage, I really cannot complain.
- Butter-Licious Curls. Who can’t use a good butter? Butter-Licious Curls is thick, just like I like it and it provides ample moisture. This butter works well with twist outs and braid outs.
- Foam Wrap Lotion. This product is a mousse and so I used it as such. It is very moisturizing and does leave your hair feeling silky. I have used it for wash and go’s when I want light fluffy hair with a soft hold, this gets the job done.
Dark and Lovely Au Naturale
What I like about this line, is that they use a lot of natural ingredients and seed oils. Here’s what I have tried:
- Curl Defining Crème Glaze. This creamy hair concoction first of all, smells great, like candy or fruit juice—love that. Secondly, it’s consistency is thick, and it is also very moisturizing and defining. My curls popped with this product. I met a women in the store I bought this from and she said it didn’t work for her, it didn’t define. But I want to give you the same tip I gave her: don’t use it on soaking wet hair, you need to use this after you squeeze the water out of your hair and then don’t be too heavy handed, after that, it will define well. It’s like trying to put on lotion when you’re soaking wet, it just doesn’t work because they lotion was too watery. I love this product and I have a feeling her and I will be friends throughout 2015 as well.
- Sheen Sealing Nectar. I don’t know, maybe I’m late, but this has got to be one of the smartest products I used all year and I wasn’t going to try it until someone at the store suggested it. This product is sealing oil in a spray bottle. It contains apricot seed oil, mango and sunflower seed oil and to me it’s genius. I hate, having to seal my hair by rubbing my hands through my already defined curls. With this product, I just spray my finished styles and go.
Those are some of the products that were winners for me in 2014. Let’s help our fellow curly and coily ladies out--what products worked great for you in 2014? What are your new staples?