What’s so great about coconut milk?
Coconut fat is mostly in the form of medium chain saturated fatty acids with lauric acid being the most dominant one in them. Easily absorbed by the body and a great source of dietary energy, lauric acid coconut milk contains iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, protein, and vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5, and B6. Unlike cow’s milk, coconut milk is lactose free and becoming increasingly popular for those suffering from lactose intolerance and this milk is a favorite among vegans. Despite the wonderful benefits of coconut milk, it does get dinged for its high fat content, sugar, and calories. What may not be so great for your body is amazing for our hair.
Benefits of coconut milk
We already love coconut oil and our hair benefits from all it has to offer from fighting frizz to being a sealant extraordinaire. Sure, but what can coconut milk do for your curls?
- Hair nourisher – Get ready for a cooling sensation when you apply coconut milk to your scalp. We are some ever-loving DIY curly girls so I know I would be remiss if I did not share how you can make your very own coconut milk at home.
- Lauric acid – This is the top reason coconut milk is a winner. It is a good and rare medium-chain fatty acid that is also found in mother’s milk. This is what gives coconut milk its anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial health-protecting properties. Lauric acid is a natural antiseptic that will help with dandruff, skin and scalp infections along with a dry, itchy scalp. It will soften the hair and make it smoother.
- Natural conditioner- Many commercial hair conditioners blend coconut milk and oil, which will help moisturize the hair and maintain shine. An easier and more direct way to harness that goodness is to massage coconut oil onto your hair from root to tip, apply coconut milk, and cover with a plastic cap. Wrap in a towel for a few hours or even overnight before rinsing out. No need to wash out and notice just how soft, shiny, and silky your hair feels.
Itching to try some DIY recipes with the goodness of coconut milk? I have a few below along with some hair products favorites that harness the benefits of coconut milk.
Coconut milk pre-poo
via Emily Cotton Top
- 4 tbsp. coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. of 3 of your favorite essential oils
Apply all ingredients into bowl and warm either in a bigger bowl of hot water or on the stove in a saucepan. Do not let boil. Once warm, apply to dirty hair, and cover with plastic cap and a heating cap, thermal heat turban or the like. Keep on for at least an hour and then remove in the shower to avoid messiness. Wash and style as usual.
Coconut milk +olive oil hair mask
- 1 tbsp. of coconut milk
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Enough hot water to cover your hair.
Apply the coconut milk and olive oil into a small bowl and add enough hot water to have enough for your hair. Mix and then massage mixture into your scalp and hair from roots to tip. Leave on hair for 5-10 min. with or without a plastic cap before rinsing, cleansing, and styling as usual.
Products with coconut milk
If you prefer to get your coconut milk from a product rather than a can, try one of these:
- OGX Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo
- OGX Nourishing Coconut Milk Conditioner
- Giovanni 2Chic Blackberry & Coconut Milk Ultra Repair Conditioner
- Giovanni 2Chic Blackberry & Coconut Milk Ultra Repair Super Potion Hair Oil Serum