SheaMoisture is a favorite among those of us with all kinds of textured hair, and for good reason.
The cruelty-free brand is affordable, contains excellent treatment ingredients like shea butter, coconut oil, does not contain the bad ingredients many curlies stay away from such as sulfates and silicones, and currently has over 150 different products to reach a diverse needs of each curl, wave, coil out there! The brand even has a focus on porosity, which is a rarity.
I have been using SheaMoisture products since around 2012 and since then, I have watched them release more products and lines each year. By now I have tried quite a few of the SheaMoisture lines and have certainly developed relationships with my favorites. Here are my Top Five Favorite SheaMoisture products to date!
Note: At time of doing this article I have not tried the brand new 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Line or the Kukui Nut & Grapeseed Oils Damage Rehab Line yet.
1. Yucca & Plantain Anti-Breakage Frizz-Free Shine Mist
- Yucca: Promotes hair growth for thicker, fuller hair
- Plantain Extract: rich in vitamin B complex, and nourishes hair with moisture
- Baobab Oil: contains vitamins A, C, D, E, and F to fortify and strengthen hair
The entire Yucca and Plantain line is pretty incredible, to be honest--they are my second favorite SheaMoisture line! The lightly floral-scented mist has been a staple in my hair care regimen since I first tried it years ago. I love using this when my Day 1 hair is all dry. It's also great for refreshing days old hair to add shine, combat frizz, and fight breakage. A bonus: this mist does not leave my waves feeling crunchy or weighed down.
2. Bamboo Extract & Maca Root Resilient Growth Root Stimulator
- Bamboo Extract: boost the hair’s intrinsic flexibility and resilience for healthier growth
- Maca Root: invigorates and energizes hair, improving the look of fullness
- Red Clover: helps reduce build up to encourage full, healthy looking hair growth
I massage this product into my scalp every single night for five minutes, as I am forever on the quest to encourage my naturally wavy hair grow in the healthiest, strongest way possible so that it can get longer without breaking. This helps encourage healthy hair growth without leaving my roots oily or greasy.
- SuperFruit Complex: a blend of red raspberry, goji, acai and guava extracts rich in protective antioxidants
- Marula Oil: rich in essential fatty acid omega-9 oleic to hydrate deeply
- Biotin: multi-vitamins nourish for stronger-looking hair
This wonderful, multi-tasking cream makes detangling a breeze, giving my wavy hair just the right amount of moisture it needs. I can use it as a traditional leave-in before applying a styler on wet hair, or if my days old hair feels extra dry and wants more moisture, I can quench my dry hair's thirst with this leave-in. It adds bounce back to my waves and even some unexpected shine. The formula is lightweight and runny, so I need a bit of it, which is good for other curlies who find most cream style products to weigh their hair down easily. Not to mention, it offers a yummy fruity fragrance.
- Manuka Honey: anti-inflammatory properties smooth hair, and helps create a moisturizing barrier to rehydrate hair
- Mafura Oil: high level of beneficial oleic acid help replenish oils stripped from hair
- African Rock Fig: contains antioxidant vitamin C, which helps keep hair looking vibrant
This oil blend is fantastic, as it is yet another product I can use on both wet and dry hair. I like to use it as the last step in the L.C.O. Method to seal my hair or I will use it over the mist on days old hair. Sometimes I may even add a little bit on my ends if they are feeling particularly dry in between trims. This oil is lightweight but adds incredible shine and hydration. It's crazy how soft my hair feels instantly after I apply it.
- Mongongo Oil: specially selected to coat and seal the cuticle of high porosity hair
- Hemp Seed Oil: moisturizes hair while it reinforces and protects
- Baobab Protein: contains vitamins A, C, D, E and F to fortify hair
Okay, so I used a loophole and included a whole line for this one. But that is because it is my favorite full line by SheaMoisture. Every single product works extremely well for my dry high porosity hair. Aside from helping enhance natural curl definition and leaving my hair feeling silky, what I really notice most after using these products are the significant reduction in frizz and intensely beautiful shine. The High Porosity line truly helps my stubbornly frizzy hair in a way not many other products can. A stand-out from the line is the Moisture-Seal Styling Gel which has the perfect amount of hold for a gel without leaving my hair feeling stiff or crunchy.
To sum it up...
It was hard to pick just five products, but here they are! There are plenty more from the brand I also like using, but to talk about all of them would be to write a novel.
What are some of your SheaMoisture favorites?
Tell us in the comment section below.