Oil sheens are hair sprays that awaken the natural shininess of your hair.
Oil sheen bottles are often mistaken for olive oil cooking spray–you might have come across the viral memes and giggled a bit. But these products are actually intended to achieve a natural shine by restoring the health of each strand it reaches. The spray can be applied to either dry or wet hair. Personally, I prefer to use it on my dry hair. Nevertheless, not just any hair type should use an oil sheen.
Who should use an oil sheen?
One of the common characteristics of curly hair is that it looks dry and dull. Any hair type that is highly porous gets this lackluster appearance as well. This is due to cuticles that are open from chemical or environmental factors and do not have a flat surface. Consequently, the hair will be less successful in reflecting light. Sometimes, applying an oil directly to the hair simply does not work with textured hair–in some cases, sealing with an oil only results in more frizz. The key is to pay close attention to how your hair reacts to certain ingredients, like oils.
These oil sheens have done the trick for years.
- Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Sheen Spray: During my transitioning process, I used this oil sheen a lot. My hair was very dry and the spray made it look somewhat healthier in between washes. Some transitioning curlies still use this spray for of its effectiveness in touching up sleek updos. It has a light, airy fragrance, too.
- Crème of Nature Argan Oil Replenishing Spray: This product delivers the benefits of Argan oil: it recovers the hair cuticles and restores the shine. This is an excellent alternative main ingredient to olive oil, which tends to be too heavy for less dense and lower porosity hair types.
- Mizani Shyne Bodifying Sheen Spray: Made with a special high-quality oil-free technology, this brand’s sheen promises to work well on relaxed hair and protective styles like braids. However, because of this, Mizani is more expensive than the previously mentioned brands.
- Motions Oil Sheen & Conditioning Spray: Unilever-owned brand Motions also has an oil sheen on the market. The price range is similar to ORS version. My friend regularly used the product and is very satisfied; she mentioned that the smell is great and that she walks around with very shiny curls (something I can see as well”>.
- SheaMoisture Reconstructive Finishing Elixir: Although this is one of my favorite brands, to be honest, I do not really enjoy the fragrance of the yellow line. This oil sheen works well for naturally dry hair in its luster restoration.