If you are considering a bold new short style, why not give away your healthy hair to someone in need? The following organizations are accepting hair donations. The organizations below primarily help those who are experiencing hair loss due to illness, injury, skin conditions, or as a result of chemotherapy feel more confident. One organization uses it to help the planet.
Before you donate your hair, there are a few things you should know.
- Make sure hair is healthy and in good shape.
- Hair must be clean and dry when donated.
- There are length requirements. Hair cannot be used for wigs if they do not meet these requirements. No clippings.
- Hair should be recently cut. Hair that was cut years ago is harder to make into wigs.
- Just because your hair is chemically treated doesn’t mean you can’t donate! Check with each organization to make sure.
- Make sure you follow all guidelines set forth by the organization you have chosen.
- When mailing the donation, make sure you place hair in a Ziploc bag inside of an envelope instead of simply putting hair in the envelope. This helps keep the hair intact and safe.
- Some organizations offer free wigs while others charge recipients on a sliding scale. If this matters to you, make sure you read the company website for further information prior to donating.
Ponytail donations are used to create hair prosthesis for children in need. They are provided free of charge. This organization is perhaps one of the most well-known on this list.
This organization creates loc wigs for Cancer patients of all ages. It will take a variety of locs, including those that have been colored, or that have beads and wires.
Children with Hair Loss provides no-cost hair replacements to kids who are experiencing medically-related hair loss.
If you are in the Ottawa, Canada area or plan to visit, sign up for a donation event. Registration for 2019 is currently open. Hair Donation Ottawa supplies kids with wigs free of charge, and also contributes to Cancer research.
This Michigan-based organization gives free of cost wigs to children who have experienced hair loss. It also has a Wellness Center and supportive services to help nurture them through their recovery. Many of the donations come from other children, which is a great way for your little curlies to help others in need.
Beautiful, handmade wigs which are made to look like a child’s own hair are custom made. These empowering hair replacements ensure that no child has to worry about his or her appearance while overcoming illness.
Children and young adults with hair loss due to a medical condition are given wigs without cost.
On the homepage of this foundation’s site is the slogan Hugs-U-wear. What an appropriate way to describe the gift of a wig to a child who needs one.
Hair We Share provides men, women, and children suffering with hair loss due to a medical condition with wigs free of charge. Recipients are from all across the United States.
Wigs are given to women and children with hair loss due to a medical reason without cost to them. This organization also offers breast prostheses to women with mastectomies.
While other organizations on this list use human hair donations for wigs, Matter of Trust uses it to help clean up the environment. Here, hair, fleece and fur are used to sop up oil spills and keep storm drains clear. Donations can be any length of hair. Besides its hair donation program, it also has eco-education, renewable resources, and other programs to help heal the planet.
Have you donated hair in the past? Let us know which organization you donated to in the comments.