Planning a beach vacation can be challenging for natural hair. However, with the right preparation your bag can have all the essentials necessary to make the trip a win. Find out what travel-friendly tips will make packing a breeze along with a few natural hair essentials for the bag.
Ways to Prepare for Summer Vacation
- Research the Climate: After confirming the destination, research the climate. Tropical beaches can bear high humidity, rain and winds all at the same time while coastal California beaches may feel drier with low humidity. After determining what type of climate you will encounter, decide what hairstyles will work best.
- Braids or Au Naturale: Getting your hair braided or adding faux locs is one way to maintain natural hair for the entire duration of your vacation. However, if the plan is to change up your hairstyle daily, be prepared to bring more hair products and tools.
- Pack Like a Pro: Packing can be a nightmare for a product junkie. Invest in travel-friendly containers for your full-sized products or purchase TSA approved curl kits like “The Kit for All Curl Kind” from DevaCurl. Planning to use a diffuser? Try a collapsible diffuser attachment that fits on most hotel hair dryers. Want to know more tips for packing your curly hair essentials, watch this!
Applying sunscreen to your face and body may feel like enough to protect you but the scalp and hair also need defense. These must-have items offer sun protection to shield the hair from damaging UV rays, heat, faded color, and the elements of a beach or pool.
Must-Have Sun Protection for Hair
- Coola Organic Scalp & Hair Mist: With a blend of plant-based antioxidants, this 70%+ organic spray protects the scalp and hair from harmful UV rays, heat, and color fading. It’s SPF 30 formula is formulated without oxybenzone and water-resistant for up to 80 minutes. It also comes in a TSA friendly size of 2.0 ounces
- Babo Botanicals Cucumber Aloe Vera UV Sport Conditioning Spray: This plant-based moisturizing leave-in conditioner with aloe vera and cucumber protects the hair from UV damage and dryness. It contains a gentle, certified organic Nutri-Soothe blend of Chamomile, Watercress, Kudzu and Calendula. Wild Pansey offers UV protection, and protects the hair from chlorine, salt, and sun. This baby-safe spray formula is alcohol and tear-free.
- Bumble and bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Heat & UV Protective Primer: This softening UV hair mist is infused with a blend of coconut, argan, macadamia nut, sweet almond, safflower seed, and grapeseed oil. It’s lightweight formula can be used on damp or dry hair to detangle, tame frizz, and protect from heat and harmful UV rays.
Along with sunscreen, lip balm, and magazines plan to bring a few hair accessories in your beach bag.
Essential Hair Accessories for the Beach or Pool
- Wide Brim Hat: If protecting your scalp, hair and face are high on the priority list, then a wide-brim hat is a must-have item. It provides 360 degree sun protection, masks a bad hair day and looks chic.
- Scarf/Turban: Yet, another way to add a touch of fashion poolside. A silk patterned scarf can cover the entire head or be used as a wrap to spruce up a pineapple.
- Scrunchie/Elastics: Scrunchies and elastics are summertime essentials to put your hair up and keep you cool
- Claw clips: Claw clips can secure a french twist or bun in seconds.
What hair products and tools are some of your must-haves for the beach? Share your ideas with the Naturally Curly community down below in the comments.