For vegans, there has never been a better time to go curly. We now have amazing plant-based, cruelty-free products to nourish our hair with botanical extracts, essential oils, and natural moisturizers. This article will provide you with tips on shopping for them (what to look for, and what to avoid) and some tools to help you in your search. If you need some inspiration from fabulous new finds to old favorites for creating an eco-friendly regimen that both your hair and the environment will love read on.
Tips and tools
- Spot the symbols on product labels. There are a few different vegan symbols, like V-label from the European Union (always check ingredients with this one since it can denote both vegan and vegetarian products), the Vegan Society vegan trademark, and the certified vegan symbol. The vegan bunny means that the product is both vegan and cruelty-free.
- Vegan often, although not always, means cruelty-free (and vice-versa).
- If you want to ensure that a product does not test on animals and this is not indicated on the label, check the company’s website.
- Avoid animal and insect derived ingredients such as: beeswax, honey, lanolin, collagen, gelatin, elastin, keratin, silk proteins and amino acids, carmine, oleic acid, squalene, guanine, casein, glycerin that is not listed as vegetable glycerin, and casein.
- If a product lists wax as an ingredient, verify that is palm-derived carnauba wax.
- Check out PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies search tool to find cruelty-free, vegan hair products.
- Use the search tools in our Shop. You can use our filter option to find perfect-for-your-curls cruelty-free products.
Best New Vegan Products
While there are lots of great options to love already, these new releases are sure to guarantee your curly hair journey will be a smashing success.
Briogeo Curl Charisma chia + flax seed coil custard: Briogeo’s much-loved line has a new addition with this rich, creamy, decadent custard that will provide moisture to the thirstiest curls while leaving them soft, defined, and full of sheen.
Camille Rose Naturals Lavender Fresh Cleanse: This gentle lavender shampoo will gently clean your hair while balancing its pH. Its antimicrobial properties will help keep your scalp in tip top shape, too.
Camille Rose Naturals Herbal Tea Seal & Soften: Here is a leave-in that every curly in your home will want to get her (or his) hands on. It has hair-loving herbs like nettle, marigold, sage, and patchouli which work together to help strengthen your hair and sooth your scalp.
More Vegan Favorites
This is the perfect combo for sensitive scalps as these products do not contain any harsh chemicals or irritants.
Yarok: With a mix of curly favorites and new offerings, Yarok’s product collection is worth exploring.
Pacifica: 100% vegan and cruelty products that won’t break the bank are on every plant-based curlista’s hit list. Pineapple Curls is a perpetual favorite.
Which are your favorite plant-powered products? Let us know in the comments. For more vegan lines, click here.