This Ayurvedic mask recipe was submitted by NaturallyCurly member samara22. She uses the mask to strengthen her 4a coils "back into shape and provide long lasting elasticity."
- Ayurvedic henna mixture which includes Brahmi, shikakai, hibiscus powder, aloe vera, bhringraj, amla, neem, and jatamansi powders. What I use is Nupur henna from my local indian store which includes all of this in one package.
- coconut milk or aloe vera juice
- honey or agave nectar
- one large egg
- coconut oil
- your favorite moisturizing rinse out conditioner
- Depending on your hair type place one to two full cups of Nupur henna powder in a plastic bowl
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk or aloe vera juice to 1 cup henna mixture, or 1 1/2 cup to 2 cups henna mixture
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil to 1 cup of henna mixture, or 2 1/3 of coconut oil to 2 cups henna mixture
- Place one large egg in the mixture
- Add 2 tbsp of honey or agave nectar to 1 cup of henna mixture, or 4 tbsp to 2 cups henna mixture
- Add 1 cup of your favorite moisture conditioner to 1 cup henna mixture, or 2 cups to 2 cup henna mixture
- Distribute evenly through the hair by sections and wrap with a plastic cap
- Leave on for 1 to 3 hours or however you'd like than rinse thoroughly with a protein free moisture rich conditioner for shiny, bouncy curls then style as you would.
- Allow the water from your shower head to rinse the mixture out, less manipulation of the hair while the mixture is still in will prevent any tangles and knots from forming.
BenefitsIf you are new to the Ayurvedic henna, Samara broke down the benefits of the various ingredients:
- Brahmi promotes hair growth
- Shikakai leaves hair clean and shining
- Aloe vera moisturizes hair and creates silkiness
- Henna also known as methi conditions and nourishes hair
- Bhringraj makes hair luxuriant
- Amla darkens hair color and adds shine
- Neem fights scalp infections and prevents dandruff
- Hibiscus revitalizes hair making it silky and shiny and jatamansi prevents graying of the hair
With all these powerful powders you should have one great head of hair. If you'd like to share your own recipe with the curly community, submit it here.