Image by iSTock/Deagreez
Although not curly, wavy hair is definitely not straight, either. One of the major challenges that having wavy hair can present is frizz. An easy way to combat frizz is by styling your hair with gel. Frizz makes the hair look dry, dull, and can also cause hair to look un-styled. Even when going for the effortless look, it is important for hair to look great; we all know that looking effortless is rarely achieved without effort. Here’s a quick and simple way of letting your natural waves shine through with a hair gel.
- Starting with hair that is freshly washed and conditioned, remove excess water from your hair with a towel (pat your hair but do not rub — you are trying to prevent frizz, not create it”>. Alternatively, you may use an old t-shirt instead of a towel.
- Brush through your hair using a detangling brush, or a wide-toothed comb, to get rid of any tangles or knots. Be gentle on your roots!
- Take a generous amount of hair gel and rake through your waves. Focus on the length of the strands.
- Lower your head, flip your hair forward, and apply a generous amount of hair gel at the back of your head. Flipping hair forward will also create volume and movement once your hair has dried.
- Once the strands are coated with gel, scrunch your hair to encourage natural wave definition (and to squeeze excess water out”>.
- Use your towel or t-shirt and continue scrunching the hair.
- Continue scrunching the hair at five to ten minute intervals, until all of the hair has dried completely.
Use the right tools and products
Finding the right tools and products for your hair is critical to getting the final results you want. If you have thin, fine strands then Biotera Styling Gel is great for increasing volume.
John Frieda Frizz Ease Clearly Defined Gel with UV filter is also a great option for those who spend a lot of time outdoors, or those with color treated hair who want to ensure their hair remains shiny, healthy and vibrant.
For best results while scrunching, and to minimize frizz, try the Hair RePear The Ultimate T-Shirt Hair Towel.
Whether you’re drying, scrunching or plopping this t-shirt towel will give you great results every time.
If you’re still searching for the perfect detangling comb, the Cricket Ultraclean Big Time Comb may be the one you’ve been waiting for. It features antimicrobial technology that prevents bacteria from growing on it, and is also designed to be slip resistant, which means no falling from your conditioner covered, slippery hands.
Try this routine for gorgeous, frizz-free waves, and then post your picture on Style Nook for the NaturallyCurly community to see!
This article was originally published in 2016 and has been edited for clarity and grammar.