Just got home from a late night at the office and need to take your curls from bland to date night sexy in a snap? Not to worry! We found our favorite quick and easy curly hairstyles that will transform your day look and keep his eyes locked on you from dinner to wine on the beach.
Pump Up the Volume
With bouncy, voluminous, sexy curls!
Volume is an easy way to pump up the sex appeal! The only challenge here is warding off gravity and stopping it from pulling your curls down. Sound impossible? It's not!
- Volume starts in the shower! Apply your gel or mousse in the shower with sopping wet hair and your head upside down. Scrunch in an upward motion toward your head to increase the curl and volume; you can never scrunch too much. This not only keeps moisture in, but also adds height to the crown area.
- Scrunch while you are still upside down with a microfiber towel. Diffusing will give you the most volume for type 2 and 3 given that air-drying will take a while, and the weight of your hair will cause loss of volume.
- Wavy (Type 2): Use a hard holding gel or volumous mousse to give you hold all night. Take pin-curl clips and clip at the root of your hair on the top of your head to give you lift while drying. Be careful not to disturb your curl pattern. Pile your hair on top of your head and secure with a clip or two while drying to create lots of lift.
- Curly (Type 3): By using a light gel and frizz free oil cocktailed together, you can achieve volume without frizz. Use pin-curl clips on the crown of your head to create volume and lift.
- Kinky (Type 4): Most kinky curly hair already has volume and lift, but you need to have it without frizz. Leave some of your conditioner in your hair and lightly rinse to keep the frizz out. Then apply a soft styling cream and frizz free oil together to lock the moisture in. Air-drying is best so you will not agitate the curls.
Create a dreamy, date-night with these sexy wavy hair styles! »
Rock your date night with these hot curly hair styles! »
Wrap him around your coils with these sassy kinky hair styles! »
This is not Snooki's bump, either!
Now I’m not talking about a Snooki bump, just a mild bump on your crown. These are super easy to create and give you the illusion of volume without the shower and setting time period.
- Grab a section of hair from your hairline at your forehead and pull it back much like you would pull your hair back to create a ponytail, only use less hair. Then, ever so slightly push your hair forward to create a mini-bump. You can choose to leave a few stray curls out around your face, or to pull it all back.
- Bobby pins are your best friend, so don't be afraid to use them. The key is to lock them in place by making an X. Always make sure you do not disturb your curl pattern when you pin them.
- Wavy (Type 2): If you have fine hair, you may need to lightly tease the top section of your hair to hold your style so your hair won’t split during the night. Simply tease close to the scalp, but not all the way through or you'll disturb your curls and create frizz. Spray a hard hold aerosol hair spray before and after you tease. Then, pin your hair back one side at a time making sure that it feels secure before moving on.
- Curly (Type 3): To change up your bump look, criss-cross your hair in the back giving it a slightly braided look, then pin in place. This will also help create the lift you need for the style. Make sure to spray with a spritz hair spray throughout to hold your curl and reduce frizz.
- Kinky (Type 4): Smooth with a strong frizz free oil on the top half of your hair as you are pinning back to keep the frizz at bay. Pin hair back one side at a time and smooth with each pin. If your hair is extremely thick, you may need to use a lot of bobby pins to hold your hair in place. Be creative and put them all going the same direction or try a fun design.
Check out these stylish date night wavy updos »
Find more great "out on the town" curly updos »
Add class to your kinks and coils with these kinky updos »
Accessorize, Accessorize, Accessorize
Make your 'do fun & flirty
When you're in a time crunch, accessories can be your best friend! Spice your 'do up with a cute bow or flower, giving it a "I spent a lot of time on this" look! There is such a huge selection of hair jewelry on the market right now, so you have no excuse to not find something that fits your personal style!
- If the accessory is too heavy for your hair, use a couple bobby pins first to position the hair where you want it and then place the clip on top of it.
- Only put accessories in on dry, set hair. Doing otherwise can and will cause frizz, and will lessen the ability of the bobby pins to hold the accessory in place. This means more touching, which equals more frizz. Don't do it!
- Wavy (Type 2): A great scarf tied around your hairline will dramatize your look. Do not choose one that is too long, but one that is just a little bit longer than your hair length, and keep it simple. This is perfect for second-day hair fails, since the scarf will cover up any oil build-up at your roots.
- Curly (Type 3): A bow or a clip will show off your amazing curls. Clip one side of your hair up and place it there. You might need to pin the side up with some bobby pins if the clip is too heavy for your hair.
- Kinky (Type 4): Perfectly a placing a decorated headband in your hair will compliment your outfit. You can leave a few tendrils out around your face, too. Do not mess with the headband too much during the night, though, as it will disrupt your curls if you do.
Find dazzling evening accessories for wavy hair! »
Discover cute and creative accessories for curly hair! »
See more sleek and stylish accessories for kinky hair! »
Find Curly Hair Products to Keep Your 'Do
- Browse hundreds of hair product reviews from wavies, curlies and kinkies just like you, and find your new favorite product!
- Or make your own products! Become a mixtress!
Get more quick & easy curly hairstyles perfect for college!