What better way to ring in the new year than with a fabulous hairstyle? Since you’ll be enjoying the events of the night, you want to make sure your hair to stay fresh without too much fuss. Make it a night to remember with one of these fresh curly updos! You'll appreciate the camera flash knowing your hair is on point. Let the ball drop!
Classic Curly Updo
Who says you can’t still rock curls and dance the night away? This style lets you stay sophisticated while you party, without too much worry of the curls falling out of place. It shouldn’t take more than a few moments to get you ready for your New Year’s Eve celebration.
- Sculpting is the key to pulling off curly updos without letting them fall flat. Adding a product with hold while styling will ensure your curls last all night long. Try finishing with a spray gel to add extra hold.
- This style lends itself well to many different hair lengths. If your hair is longer, simply pin the hair in the back up and off your neck. You can play with different variations such as doing a French roll in the back or bringing the hair forward to create the loose curls in the front.
- Type 2 (Wavy): Add some volume to the top portion of your hair. Smooth a light leave in product through your hair and use clips to lift the roots. Try Jessicurl Gelebration Spray as a final step to provide hold and define your curls without weighing them down.
- Type 3 (Curly): When you’re working with curly hair, you want to make sure it pops! Try adding a moisturizing product like Karen’s Body Beautiful Hair Nectar to smooth and define your curls. Pin a cute hair clip in the back and you’re ready to shine!
- Type 4 (Kinky): Nothing is sexier than a head full of shiny curls, so adding a pomade or glosser spray to your finished style will give you the sheen you need. A quick tip is to use the pomade before twisting and add a bit more on the ends before untwisting for maximum shine. Original Moxie Hair Bling Shine Pomade should do the trick!
Tips – If you want to wear this style in the evening, you may want to twist the loose front section during the day, or at least a few hours before the event. That way your curls will have the max amount of definition. This look can last a couple days if you wrap your hair with a satin scarf before bedtime. To refresh, spritz with a bit of leave-in or diluted conditioner and your curls will be back in action.
Curly & Sleek
Talk about sleek and party-ready curly updos! High curly buns are easily adaptable from the day to the nighttime New Years Eve celebrations. You can enjoy the festivities and bring in the New Year without worrying about your curls falling out of place.
- This is not your traditional bun! Let your curls give character to this style, whether you have tight or loose curls. The key is to allow your curls to fall into place then pin them down. Feel free to make your bun as big as you’d like!
- Up the sleek factor! Add a sparkly headband or hair clip to make this style really shine! Use a pomade to smooth your edges and accentuate the curly bun. Try a natural product like Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade to give you shine and tame the frizzies.
- Type 2 (Wavy): To up the volume in your bun, try adding a volumizing mousse to your damp hair. Air drying is best, but you can use a diffuser to help cut down on the drying time. Try not to touch your hair until it’s dry or you can create unnecessary frizz.
- Type 3 (Curly): You may want to separate your curls a bit to create a more fabulous bun. Just make sure to add a bit of product before separating to avoid extra frizz. Try applying a small amount of a light leave-in like Darcy’s Botanicals Peach Kernel Hydrating Milk to keep your curls defined.
- Type 4 (Kinky): Time to rock your kinky curls is here and now! If your hair isn’t long enough to create a bun then improvise! You can sport a curly poof or if your hair is a bit longer try sculpting a faux bun by pinning the hair around to form a bun.
Tips – Tie a scarf around your head to smooth the edges once the bun is created. This will help the style to stay sleek longer, and then just remove before your event. The hair can be secured the same way at night to preserve the style for New Year’s Day.
Side Swept Swirls
Want to show off your curls for the big night? Go for an asymmetrical look and grab all the attention in the room! This side swept style is sure to steal the show, allowing your curls to shine. The key to this style is to embrace your natural tresses while minimizing frizz.
- The loose wavy curls are a great quick and easy style! The side part accentuates the side swept hair and shows off your choice of earrings for the evening!
- You can use hair pins to create the swoop in the front and to help control the curls on the side. Use a light hold pomade to smooth the hair down. Pull the hair over to the side and secure with a few more hair pins to keep the hair in place.
- Type 2 (Wavy): Use a microfiber towel to dry your hair, then add a volumizing product throughout the hair. If you need to, use a diffuser to speed the drying time, and then take a section of hair at a time to sculpt the curls by adding a bit of styling paste to each section of waves. Lightly finger through the waves and you’re ready to go.
- Type 3 (Curly): To create the loose waves without the frizz, try twisting large sections of hair using a butter or pomade. Bee Mine Bee Hold Curly Butter is great for providing hold while still defining the curls. Quick style tip: the longer you let the twists stay in, the more definition you will attain.
- Type 4 (Kinky): To get the most out of this style, smooth the hair to the side and pin in place. Then once secured, create a few large twists on the loose hair using an oil based product since it should not cause the curls to shrink. Try Jane Carter Nourish & Shine to curb frizz and increase the shine.
Tips – This may be a relatively quick and easy style, but it should last you to the ball drop and beyond! If you want to try and get second day hair from this style, try putting your hair in a loose braid and use your satin pillowcase at night. Put a bit of light oil on your hands before taking the braid down in the morning, fluff, and you’re ready to go for the New Year!
What is your ringlet resolution for 2012? Let us help your find one and keep it!