The 2011 Rodeo Drive Walk of Style, held to honor style legends for their contributions to the world of fashion and entertainment, was chock full of curlies, proving that natural hair isn't just a hair style, but a legendary fashion movement.
We caught up with our favorite curly stylist and got the low down on how Rachel Zoe, Sofia Vergara, Alexis Bledel, Chrissy Telgen and Margherita Missoni got the curls that rocked Rodeo Drive!
Rachel’s beachy California blonde locks were stunning with her Ombre hair color on the red carpet. She looks fantastic after just having a baby a few months ago.
- Wash your hair with a volumizing shampoo and conditioner to create a free flowing look.
- Apply a sea salt spray to your hair with your hair upside down, to allow your curls to have bounce and volume.
- Before drying, whether you air dry or use a hair diffuser, smooth the hair down from the roots to about 3 or 4 inches down the hair shaft so that you do not have too much curl at the root. You can do this with a smoothing cream if your hair is a type 3 or type 4. Type 2 waves will do this naturally.
Sofia was sexy and sultry as usual with her caramel colored waves on Rodeo Drive.
- Use a smoothing shampoo and conditioner so you can have more control over your waves.
- While your hair is damp, scrunch in a smoothing cream while upside down to create a slight lift and to add hold to your curls.
- When the hair is dry, rub a smoothing serum in your hands and lightly run it through your ends to keep the fly aways at bay.
Alexis’ simple, loose, wavy curls complemented her patterned dress. She sure looks all grown up now and the waves brought a great amount of texture to her ensemble.
- Create a part on the side and lightly comb the hair going back away from the face.
- Scrunch upside down with a light gel or foam to give the hair hold and texture.
- Diffuse to give the hair bounce and hold, and finish with a shine spray for high gloss.
Chrissy strutted her stuff on the red carpet with her long loose waves. Her colorful frock showed off her amazing legs with class.
- Create a deep middle part while the hair is wet. Comb the crown area back and put clips at the root too create lift in that area while drying.
- Apply a frizz-free foam or mousse to the ends to midshaft to give the hair bounce and hold.
- When the hair is dry, scrunch, scrunch and scrunch to give the hair a more textured look. .
Margherita kept her hair in control with a sophisticated updo to show off her jewelry. This style is best with day old curls, so that the hair is completely dry, and so that there is sufficient texture in the hair.
- Create a deep side part and pull the front two sections aside.
- Twist the back section on top of the head and pin with bobby pins, thicker hair might require a lot of pins. Make sure it feels secure.
- Pull each of the side sections to the back and secure with pins. The larger section should be loose in the front to create a wave pattern.
- Spray with hairspray throughout the process and especially when finished to keep control of the curls and the frizz.