Our curls need love and care. Since curly hair is more prone to dryness, we have to take extra measures to keep it moisturized. One treatment to incorporate into your regimen is a pre-poo. A pre-poo is a conditioning process before you shampoo your hair. A pre-poo allows you to moisturize and condition your hair before you shampoo so that it can retain moisture. Shampooing your curls can be a drying process, so pre-poo treatments allow your curls to maintain moisture. It also enables you to detangle your curls prior to shampooing, which can accelerate your washing process. There are different ways that you can pre-poo your wavy hair, check out the options below:
1. Hair oil
Have you ever applied oil to your hair and found that it left your hair greasy or oily for the rest of the day? One way to avoid that, while still reaping the countless benefits oils have for your hair, is to use them in a “pre-poo treatment” before you shampoo. You can use your favorite oil and apply thoroughly to your hair. You can also incorporate a scalp massage to stimulate hair growth. Cover your hair with a plastic shower cap and leave the oil in your hair for 15-30 minutes before you shampoo. You can also apply the oil the night before your wash day if you prefer to wash your hair in the morning.
When it comes to pre-poo treatments, a lot of women with wavy hair avoid them out of fear of a greasy scalp that takes too long to cleanse, but that does not have to be the case if you use the right oil. For wavy hair, it may be best to try lightweight oil that will not weigh down your hair. These treatments are especially beneficial for wavies with color treated or heat-straightened hair.
Try one of these light oils as your next pre-poo:
- Coconut oil
- Jojoba oil
- Grapeseed oil
- Avocado oil
2. Deep conditioner pre-poo
If you find that deep conditioners feel too heavy on your hair, even after you rinse them out, then try moving them up in your regimen to before you shampoo instead of after. Just apply enough deep conditioner to saturate your hair and leave the conditioner on for 15 minutes – 1 hour before washing. Here are some conditioners that are great for wavy hair:
- Alikay Naturals Avocado Cream Moisture Repairing Hair Mask
- Mop Top Daily Conditioner
- Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Conditioner
- Curl Junkie Repair Me! Reconstructive Hair Treatment
- Darcy’s Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Moisturizing Conditioner
3. DIY pre-poo
Your kitchen is always a great source to find healthy ingredients for your hair. You can make a combination of your favorite ingredients to make a treatment that is natural and affordable.
Coconut milk pre-poo
Hairscapades shares a coconut milk pre-poo that has the following ingredients:
- 4 tbsp. coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. each 3 of your favorite oils
If you are looking for a simpler recipe, trying using moisturizing ingredients such as avocados, Greek yogurt, honey, and bananas. Simply blend them together, sift the chunks with a rice strainer, and thoroughly apply to your hair. (Don’t skip the straining step, otherwise you’ll be picking chunks out of your hair for ages”>.
Now that you see the different ways you can pre-poo, you can choose the best option for you. You are one step closer to the pre-poo process, but before you start, here are some things that you should remember while pre- pooing:
- Handle the hair with care. It is great that you are taking the time to treat your curls before shampooing. Handle your hair with care and do not rush the process. It will defeat the purpose of pre-pooing.
- Detangle the hair with your fingers or a wide tooth comb. You do not want to cause breakage from using improper hair tool.
- Apply the products thoroughly. Make sure you apply the treatment thoroughly to your hair, concentrating on your ends, as they are the oldest and driest part of the hair and the most susceptible to breakage.
What are your favorite ways to pre-poo? Do you use oil, DIY treatments or a deep conditioner?