When you first think of broccoli, you may recall it being on your plate as a kid and wanting nothing to do with it. This vegetable which is a relative to other leafy greens such as cabbage, spinach and Brussels sprouts actually has some incredible benefits for our hair!
When I was little, I always thought of broccoli as little trees. If you live in England, you may refer to Broccoli as "Italian Brussels Sprouts" Both the stalks and "heads" of the broccoli are edible. It can be eaten raw or cooked but the raw ones have a higher content of vitamins and nutrients. Broccoli is a popular vegetable in the United States and is used in a variety of dishes. I personally like to eat it as a side dish lightly steamed with some Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top or chopped up in omelettes.
Healthy hair requires certain vital nutrients to be delivered to the follicles.
This includes Vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B5, vitamin B12, iron, niacin, zinc, sulfur, silica and germanium to be delivered to the hair follicles. Dark green leafy vegetables like broccoli are super food for hair and their consumption strengthens the hair at the roots. This is how broccoli can benefit the hair, from stylecraze.com.
- Promotes Hair Growth
Broccoli contains vitamin A, vitamin C and calcium which promote hair growth. Vitamins A and C stimulate the production of sebum, an oil based secretion that acts as a natural moisturizer and conditioner for scalp and hair whereas calcium strengthens the hair follicles.
- Strengthens the Hair Follicles
Broccoli seed oil extracted from the seeds of broccoli is particularly beneficial for hair and skin. This natural oil is packed with hair-nourishing vitamins like vitamin C and vitamin B6 that make your hair strong and silky smooth, while eliminating hair frizz.
- Combats Hair Loss
The antioxidants in broccoli seed oil, particularly vitamin C prevent hair loss by eliminating the free radicals, thus contributing to healthier and thicker hair. B vitamins such as vitamin B6 help in reducing stress, a factor that can contribute to hair loss. These vitamins support mental and physical health which in turn supports a healthy hair system. In addition to these, broccoli contains a powerful substance that can inhibit dihydrotestosterone or DHT which is closely related to hair loss and thinning.
- Imparts Luster and Sheen
Broccoli seed oil contains a unique fatty acid composition that is similar to silicone found in shampoos which is responsible for imparting shine to your hair. Also known as erucic acid, this omega-9 fatty acid gives your hair a smooth natural sheen without leaving residue of harmful detergents or chemicals in your hair follicles. Thus, it has an advantage over commercial shampoos and conditioners in this respect.
Not only can your hair benefit from eating broccoli, but using broccoli seed oil topically in hair products has some great hair benefits as well. Broccoli Seed Oil is rich in hair-nourishing vitamins, such as vitamin C and B6, which can keep your hair strong and silky smooth. This oil is straight from the broccoli seeds which are responsible for growing the vegetable
Broccoli Seed Oil contains a unique fatty acid composition that makes it similar to the silicone you will find in shampoos. Called erucic acid, this special omega-9 fatty acid helps give your hair a smooth, natural sheen without loading your follicles with harmful detergents or chemicals.
Benefits of Broccoli Seed Oil
Aside from containing erucic acid, broccoli seed oil has many, many benefits that can smooth out dry or frizzy hair. This is why it’s great for your hair, according to Emtage Beauty.
- It contains vitamin C. When it’s not helping eliminate the free radicals that can contribute to cancer, the antioxidants in broccoli seed oil can help prevent hair loss. As a result, people who get enough vitamin C usually have thicker, healthier hair.
- It contains vitamin B6. B vitamins can help reduce stress, a factor that can contribute to hair loss. It’s also a part of a spectrum of vitamins that support physical and mental health. When those are in check, your body can support a healthy hair system.
- It contains a powerful substance that has to power to inhibit dihydrotestosterone, or DHT. Why is DHT important? Because DHT has been correlated with hair loss and thinning hair–definitely two things you don’t want!
You can find pure broccoli seed oil at a health food store or amazon.com and squeeze a pea-sized amount of it into your hand and distribute it throughout your hair, using your palms. If you have dry hair, try concentrating the oil on the ends of the hair to prevent split ends or breakage. You can try some of the hair products before which contain the ingredient:
- EverButter Invigoration Smoothing Cream- aids in healing weak, damaged thinning edges, while smoothing and laying down your hair
- Kaia House Broccoli Shampoo For Curly Hair- helps restore shine and luster, while reducing excess grease that weighs down curly hair. When applied to hair, it puts back the spring in your strands.
- Raw Curls Shine Serum blends the perfect combination of 100% organic oils to give your hair superior conditioning, shine, and frizz control while healing your scalp and skin of numerous ailments!
- Ouidad Mongongo Oil Multi-Use Hair Treatment contains Mongongo and Broccoli Seed Oil. The formula restructures hair as it deeply repairs damage to restore a healthy appearance to even the dullest locks. By forming a protective film over the hair fibers, hair is instantly more manageable and has a natural, healthy-looking luster. It coats hair to protect against UV rays and environmental aggressors to help defend against damage.