Summer fun includes the beach full of sand, saltwater, wind, and sun. Did I mention sand? I love the idea of the beach, but the actual beach can be quite unfriendly to our hair and skin.
There is a right way and a wrong way to wear your hair at the beach, and when I show just how bad some of these wrong ways are, you will be grateful you read this.
Wash and go
They are lovely and carefree just like the summer and they seem like the ideal style to rock for the warmer months. You would be right in that thinking but wrong if you think it would be a great style for the beach. Yes, beach waves are nice to rock but if you notice most women who are sporting the beach waves are not actually at the beach.
- The good – They look great! They are the symbol of summer with a lighthearted spirit and feel.
- The bad – Free hair while at the windy, sandy, salty beach will run havoc on your strands. If you want tangles then you will get them by the end of the trip.
- The ugly – Back and forth from the seawater to the beach with loose hair will become a tangled, sandy mess! If the sand does not drive you insane, the water will with your loose tresses. Hair needs to be in a bun, a braid, or a contained updo, so it cannot become a detangling nightmare when you get home and try to wash the beach out of your hair.
Weaves are getting more expensive, but there will always be a more reasonable line to choose from. It is a great way to change up your look without breaking the bank, but you get what you pay for. Cheap weaves may be nice for rocking in ideal climates, but when it comes to the beach they will not make the cut.
- The good – They are fun to rock and the styles are endless so you can find one that will look amazing while you sunbathe and get wet in the ocean. You also will not be out of a ton of money and can use that extra cash for a sexy two-piece.
- The bad – A cheap weave often will not last up to non-ideal climates, so it will tangle easier than a more expensive weave. With all that wind and sand and water you will be looking at a matted mess.
- The ugly – Sheer horror of tangles the longer you stay out there enjoying the weather and water. Add sweating, humidity and your hair and the weave may part ways at the seams especially if it is glued in. Getting all that sand out may be just as much as a chore as ridding it of those tangles.
Straight hair can be a sexy change for a curly girl and by all means enjoy the variety our hair has to offer.
- The good – This style will look amazing on you as you lie out at the beach.
- The bad – You had to straighten your hair. The wind, water, sand, and potential humidity will turn that straight hair into a frizzy mess before you are out there for 30 min.
- The ugly – Since you will not be saturating your straightened hair with conditioner, it will soak up the saltwater and revert to a frizzy, dry mess. Add in the wind and sand and you have a horrible wash day within minutes. Truly one of the worst styles to rock to the beach for a curly girl.
Wigs are fun but let’s just cut to the chase on this one shall we?
- The good – honestly…for the beach? I have no good things to say except give advice. Steer clear of the water and I hope you are just there for a photo shoot.
- The bad – You are at the beach. Your wig can come off at with the first crashing wave.
- The ugly – Your wig falls off at the first crashing wave and you cannot find it anywhere. Luckily your wig cap is still intact, but honestly does that really matter at this point?
Messy bun or updo
A messy bun or updo is great for summer especially for those dramatic evenings where you want to look flirty but fun. They are easy to create and perfect for an old twist out, braid out, or even a wash and go.
- The good – You will look hot rocking a sexy, messy updo as you have fun at the beach.
- The bad – It is still somewhat loose so you can still get tangles all at the top of your head.
- The ugly – You can end up with seriously matted tangles at the top of your head because a messy bun is not really secure and the hair is somewhat loose.
The best styles for curly girls to rock at the beach are buns, braided hair, ponytails, and twists. Wet the hair and slather with conditioner and even think about a swim cap too. There are tons of cute styles to rock at the beach so be cute, smart, and have fun without regrets!