Properties of Peru balsam essential oil
It has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and fungicidal properties, which benefit chapped skin, eczema, rashes, and minor wounds. It can eliminate germs and bacteria and aids in helping the body clear out toxins by its diuretic properties and effective de-stressor. It is also helpful for respiratory problems. Like all essential oils, Peru balsam needs to be diluted with a carrier oil.
Benefits of Peru balsam on hair
The antifungal and antibacterial components make it famously useful for eczema, dandruff, and ringworm since it has cleansing properties. Because of its antiseptic properties it is beneficial to the scalp for soothing scalp irritants. It is often used in killing head lice and treating severely dry skin. Peru balsam works wonders on severely dry, itching, or cracked skin and that includes the scalp, because it nourishes the scalp quickly and effectively. It is often used in hair tonics to repair dry hair and nourish the scalp.
Before you use it...
Because of the allergy concerns, a patch test should be conducted before a full application. Blend with a carrier oil and apply to a patch of skin and wait for 24 hrs. to see if your skin reacts adversely. It can also be mixed with water for hair rinses.
We have some DIY recipes below that will aid your scalp and hair and a few shampoos that harness the potency of Peru balsam already for you.
3 ways to use Peru balsam
- Peru balsam hair tonic- simply add two drops of essential oil to your shampoo or co-wash application to rid your hair of dandruff and boost the cleansing power.
- Peru balsam hair and scalp cleansing rinse- mix a few drops with water to do a final cleanse after shampooing hair. This final hair wash rinse will help eliminate any remaining dead skin cells, cleanse the scalp, and prevent any further development of dandruff.
- 3 essential and a base oil for scalp irritations- blend two drops of Peru balsam, two drops of ylang ylang, two drops of lavender, three ml of olive oil all oils together and gently apply to affected areas on the scalp. This will also help for extremely dry and cracked skin including the scalp.
Products with Peru balsam
- Dr. Christopher's BF&C Shampoo
- Hugo Naturals Volumizing Shampoo, Vanilla & Sweet Orange
- Avalon Organics Deep Moisturizing Shampoo
Follow Amarachi (pictured above) here: