Meet another natural source of nourishment for the hair (and there are no animals involved in the making of this ingredient), Irish sea moss and its derivative carrageenan extract. Known for its ability to soothe the scalp, condition the hair, enhance shine, and fortify the hair fibers, Irish sea moss is gentle enough for your skin and strong enough to strengthen the hair. It is often used as an emulsifier in hair products, a metabolism booster in dietary supplements, and for resolving bladder issues.
You already use this
Even if you are not familiar with this ingredient, you have likely been using it already. This little ingredient has been used for years in the health care industry. You will find it in the middle or bottom of the list of ingredients, which is commonly seen as Chondrus crispus. According to wellness resource Weleda, “Carrageenan is commonly referred to as Irish moss, a species of red algae that grows abundantly along the rocky, Atlantic coasts of North America and Europe. It is made up of many mineral nutrients. Irish moss serves as a thickening agent, as well as a skin softener. It can be used to treat inflamed tissues.”
5 Products with Irish Sea Moss
- Seattle Pomade Co. Organic Pomade traps the essence of organic extracts and emollients to make a high performing styler.
- CurlyCue Renew Deep Conditioner is a protein-free deep conditioner with Ayurvedic herbs and extracts to strengthen and enhance shine for your curly strands.
- Original Moxie Intense Quench Deep Conditioner Moxie is a deep penetrating, rinse out conditioner formulated for strengthening and enhancing shine in less than 15 min.
- Aquage SeaExtend Silkening Shampoo uses extracts from the sea to fortify the strands, add moisture and smoothness, and provide shine to the hair. Perfect for frizzy or unmanageable hair.
- Parnevu Leave in Conditioner is a classic, tried-and-true product with legacy and sustainability. Parnevu has used Irish sea moss in their formula for years. Apply this product daily or as needed.
- Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo won this year's Editor's Choice Awards and is a top seller at CurlMart. Irish moss extract is the fourth ingredient in this shampoo and will leave your hair softer and shinier than before.
Do you use Irish moss in your DIY products?