Ingredients to Die For For calls Kokum Butter "one of the most balanced of all the botanicals," stating that it is a helpful addition after using bath, body, and hair products. Often used as a replacement for cocoa or shea butter, Kokum is effective in more ways than one.
Where is Kokum Butter from?Originally called Garcinia Indica Seed Butter, this butter is derived from the Garcinia plant, which is part of the Clusiaceae family. The Garcinia thrives in evergreen forests, namely in the Western Ghats region of India.
Why do we love it so much?Kokum Butter is often substituted for cocoa butter because of its more uniform triglyceride composition. It is high enough in fatty acids to improve emulsion stability and offer thickness without stiffness. Perfect for all of your bath and body products. Kokum Butter is also a natural emulsifier, so it's easy to layer with other products without interfering, while naturally thickening. It is considered one of the hardest, most stable vegetable butters known (according to Exotic Butters and Oils).
Kokum Butter is often substituted for cocoa butter because of its more uniform triglyceride composition. Its high fatty acid content improves emulsion stability and offer thickness without stiffness.In the beauty industry, Kokum Butter is used for a number of hair, skin, and body products. A fresh batch has a shelf life of one to two years, and literally melts once it comes into contact with human skin.
- Layer it as a hair cream in your LOC or LCO method on wash day for your type 3C or 4 hair.
- Rub it onto your dry, itchy skin-- perfect for eczema sufferers.
- Moisturize your skin with it in an effort to prevent wrinkles and other signs of aging.
- Style your twist-outs with it-- the hold and softness combination works well for heatless definition.
Have you tried one of these products? They contain Kokum Butter.
- Alikay Naturals Dulce Hydrating Curl Lotion
- HAIRiette Kokum Butter and Marula Oil Curl Creme
- HelloMello Kiddie Dry Skin Eraser
We are giving away a product bundle of 3 HAIRiette products to 3 lucky winners!
- HAIRiette Kokum & Marula Co-Wash
- HAIRiette Kokum & Marula Oil Blend
- HAIRiette Kokum & Marula Curl Creme
To enter, comment below telling us why you would like to win!
This giveaway ends May 26 and is open to U.S. residents only, as per our Terms and Conditions.
*Please make sure you have liked us on Facebook, so that when we can notify you if you've won.