Learn about the curl definition and styling technique that wavies, curlies, and coilies are excited about: Rake & Shake.
This styling technique not only provides curly hair with definition but helps to combat frizz when the Ouidad Advanced Climate Control regimen is used. Ouidad, the hairstylist who founded the first salon dedicated to curly hair in New York in 1984, created this signature method that’s now used in salons and by fans of the product line.
Rake & Shake Steps:
Prep: Fighting frizz starts in the shower: Cleanse your curls with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Defrizzing Shampoo and Conditioner.
1. Starting with clean, damp curls, apply a foundation product such as Advanced Climate Control Detangling Heat Spray to prime hair for styling.
2. Separate hair into five sections, securing each with a clip.
3. Beginning with the section at the nape of your neck, rake a nickel-size amount of Advanced Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel through curls from roots to ends.
4. While holding the ends of your hair, shake at the wrist to encourage your natural curl pattern to reform.
5. Using a nickel-size amount of gel for each section (more or less depending on hair thickness and length), repeat the raking and shaking motions on each of the remaining four sections.
6. Diffuse dry your curls on a low, warm setting—or allow curls to air dry.
7. Once hair is dry, rub a small amount of finishing product (such as Ouidad Clear Control Pomade) between palms, hold your curls in a ponytail, and run your hands over your hair to open the curl.
Just like that, your curls will be super defined and ready to take on the elements. So, take your styling routine to the next level with the Ouidad Advanced Climate Control regimen and the Rake & Shake technique at Ouidad.com.