The holidays sure can throw a lot your way: shopping, cold weather, traffic, cooking, celebrating, travel — the list goes on. So while your life may be in a bit of a rushed upheaval, your hair doesn’t have to be! If you’re stressed about your next holiday hair style, a wavy side chignon is an easy, quick and classy look for any celebration!
You’ve heard it here — remember it for then. There’s never any reason to stress about your waves when you have NaturallyCurly on your side!
Get That Je Ne Sais Quoi Chignon
All you’ll need for this look is about five bobby pins, depending on the thickness of your hair — you may need more, pomade, shine spray and hairspray. Quick, simple, timeless — that’s the look you’re going for!
- Apply a small amount of pomade to your palm, rub your palms together and then begin by gathering the hair into a low side ponytail at the base of your hairline. This will help to keep frizz and flyaways at bay without making your hair look greasy or dirty.
- Twist about half of the ponytail keeping the ends free from the twist. Then, wrap the twist pony section onto itself, around the base of the ponytail forming a bun. Secure with bobby pins.
- Continue to secure the bun by inserting bobby pins around the base until the bun is anchored in place. Add as many is necessary to completely secure it. As a rule of thumb, the thicker your hair, the more bobby pins you will need.
- For a messier look, leave the untwisted ends out. For a more polished look, tuck the untwisted ends in to the middle of the bun, creating a fountain look. Add additional bobby pins to keep the fountain in place.
- Apply a shine spray and secure the entire look with hairspray, to ensure that it stays in place.
Frizzy hair ruining your holiday hair? Rebecca, expert stylist and Director of Education at Design Essentials, dishes out her best wavy hair no-frizz tips!