When I tell my fellow curlies that my wash and go last for approximately seven days, I immediately notice the disbelief on their faces.
To be honest, I do not do much with my hair and I believe that this is one of the main causes of endless good hair days. In my view, the main asset contributing to elasticity of my curls during the week is my hair care routine.
The day before
I pre-poo, mixing the following oils together:
- Jamaican Black Castor oil
- Rosemary oil
- Mint oil
While pre-pooing my hair, I massage my scalp and finger detangle my hair from the ends all the way to the roots.
After this, I pull my hair up into a lose pineapple bun and cover my hair with a scarf (as shown below”>.
That morning: Cleanse, Detangle & Deep Condition, Protein Treatment
I gently wash my scalp with a sulphate-free shampoo; TRESemmé Naturals Shampoo is my favourite. I prefer washing my hair with these types of shampoos, because it does not strip my hair and I preserve my natural oils. I strongly recommend to not apply the shampoo all over your hair, since the ends might weaken.
I rarely use conditioners–I actually skip this phase and start the deep-conditioning process. At this point, I’ll use the following:
- My detangling process is actually the deep-conditioning phase. In order to prevent breakage I divide my hair into four sections. These sections will be divided into smaller sections, which will be detangled with my fingers first.
- Thereafter, I comb my hair with the Denman brush. This results in soft, detangled hair.
- Lastly, I pull my hair up into a pineapple bun and cover it with a plastic bag or cap for roughly one hour. My favourite deep conditioners are: ORS Shealicious Moisture Lock, Dabur Vatika Black Seed Hair Mask and ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment.
- I rinse the deep conditioner thoroughly with cold water. This makes my hair shiny. Hot water makes my hair dry; therefore, hot water should be avoided during the washing process. In the last phase of my wash and go routine, this is the crucial part of the process. Products can either have a positive or negative effect on the elasticity of your hair during the week.
The Styling Routine
1. Leave-in- Lottabody Leave-in conditioner
2. Cream- Eden Bodyworks Curl Defining Cream
3. Jelly- Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker
Divide the hair into sections and finger-detangle the hair while applying the products. After applying the jelly, the praying hands method should be executed. This method entails placing the hair between your hands and stroking your hands down.